• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bilstein shocks

shawn's 68

Purchased a WH suspension kit with Bilstein shocks. Question is boots down or up? The front is specific where the boots are up, but what about the rear?

TorchRedTulsan

I would assume it's the same, boots up, but I'm not sure on this specific setup. All the regular shocks I've put in have been boots up, but maybe there are other applications I haven't run across yet. You could also just give WH a quick call for the fastest answer.

Mainly joining in because I'm going to be doing the same upgrade this spring and would like to know the difficulty level when you're done.

OP
OP
shawn's 68

shawn's 68

Well, I spoke to Cory at WH who said the rear should be boot up. Also, went to various websites who say go with lettering up which would mean boot down. Mixed reviews here and a lot of head scratching.

OP
OP
shawn's 68

shawn's 68

Talked directly to Bilstein. My rear shocks (bil88116) according to Bilstein are boot down in the rear and boot up in the front (bil88115).

Attachments

• jan. 2014 054.jpg
    jan. 2014 054.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 297
  • jan. 2014 077.jpg
    jan. 2014 077.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

TorchRedTulsan

Can you post a picture of the shocks before/after you install them? I'm curious what the lettering, logos, etc look like

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Monotube shocks can be mounted in any position. Twin tube should be boots up.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine are boots down. Seems that they will only fit one way as the eyelets on the shocks are sized accordingly to the studs vs. bolts. The ride quality is very nice!!

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Source: http://www.allshocks.com/t-faq.aspx#10

More info

Do I mount the shocks with the boot pointing up or down?

With the internal design of the Bilstein monotube gas shocks, it does not matter whether the shocks are mounted with the shock rod side up or down. There are some minor advantages in longevity and overall suspension effectiveness with the shock rod pointed down, and there are many instances where Bilstein has changed the orientation to take advantage of these minor improvements where there are no clearance problems. If there is an option, we recommend mounting the shock with the shock rod and boot pointing down, but in the grand scheme of things, there is no noticeable difference.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just thought I'd add to this, that other than a shock not fitting one way, when in doubt I go by the decal. Like BR549 mentioned in his post too.
Bilistein tends to orient their decals in the direction they want, or expect you might want to mount them. So if the name reads correctly with the body up, that's a good way to mount it. Same for the rod/boot up orientation.
If for no other reason than they look better that way. ;D

I've seen them either way, with different model shocks. So that seems to be a good way to judge when you're not able to get ahold of someone before installing them.
I've told customers either way over the phone, but sometimes forget to mention the label orientation.

Paul