• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Binding in steering system

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Morning all. I have a stock PS box with a 3 year old WH collapsible shaft. When the engine is off, and I turn my steering wheel side to side, you can hear a noticeably knock or thunk in both directions. The knock comes as soon as there is the slightest bit of pressure.

I swapped in a loaner steering box, which greatly improved my slop, but the thunking sound is still there.

Is it binding up some where? if it is, thoughts on where? I've read that there is nothing in column which would cause binding. Could it be the two u joints on the steering shaft? Can't think of anywhere else.

Please let me know your thoughts.

thanks.

Muskrat

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Upper trac bar bushings? Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the bushings, tie rod ends etc. I noticed steering boxes get blamed for a lot of stuff. It's possible but rare for the problem to be the box itself.

Jim

OP
OP
muskrat

muskrat

Bronco Guru
THanks for the get back. I checked all the moving parts under the front end. Everything down there is 4 years old with less than 2500 miles on it. Nothing is moving.

That's why I'm thinking one of the two u joints in the column.

Anyone else like to chime in??

Thanks

Muskrat

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the steering box bolts, The bushings on the steering shock if you still have it and the fabric coupler if you kept it with your new steering shaft. The end of the steering column is the bushing/bearing still there and not slipped out of place?

OP
OP
muskrat

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Check the steering box bolts, The bushings on the steering shock if you still have it and the fabric coupler if you kept it with your new steering shaft. The end of the steering column is the bushing/bearing still there and not slipped out of place?

Bolts on box are tight. I'll check the bushing on the steering stabilizer. I still have one and it's old. If you mean the rag joint (fabric coupler), that was removed when I went with the WH steering shaft. I'll check the bushing bearing at the bottom end of the steering column.

thanks for chiming in.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I swapped in a loaner steering box, which greatly improved my slop, but the thunking sound is still there.

Just more thoughts on this. I don't know the whole story but as far as the "slop" goes. If you happened to swap in a P/S box 76/77 in place of a 73-75 it would feel much less sloppy because of the quicker ratio. As for the "thunking" that should be able to be identified. This may have been covered already but make sure the box is not wobbling back and forth on the frame. Very common problem even with tight bolts. If that's the case the frame needs repair.

Jim