• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

blown cluster regulator??

leander77

Loc.
Leander, Tx
I made the mistake of not turning off the ignition switch when installing by instrument cluster and ended up arcing the cluster on the clutch pedal. Immediately lost temp, oil, and fuel signals to the cluster. Did I blow the instrument cluster regulator or possibly the main voltage regulator? Lights and signals on the cluster still work. I noticed that when I reve the engine the amp meter really jumps up more than before.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ammeter has nothing to do with the instrument voltage regulator. How do the oil, temp and fuel gauges look?

Ammeter shows the charge rate to the battery. Alternator has more charge ability at higher speeds. If your battery is low you'll see a higher charge rate.

OP
OP
leander77

leander77

Loc.
Leander, Tx
Oil, temp and fuel are all dead meaning, fuel on E, temp and oil on low. I checked for any power to the gages and have nothing. It is like I lost the power to all of the sending units as well.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The IVR gets power from the ign sw. There is no fuse in the circuit. Check voltage at the black-green wire going to the IVR. If nothing check voltage at the stud terminal on the back of the ign sw.