• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blueprint 306 Package

a74ranger

Loc.
Athens, GA
I’ve rebuilt everything on my ‘77 except the engine/tran over the last few years. I’ve been thinking about a turnkey solution to that and looking at the Blueprint 306/4r70 package with EFI. I have FITech on the stock 302 and it has worked really well. Looking for an OD transmission. Any reasons to not go with the Blueprint package to finish it up?

I know the argument about using local builders but I’m looking for plug and play and something that has some guarantee. Running the numbers it looks as though the blueprint may be about the same price or less than a local build.

Lemme know what you think.

MitchE

Go for it. I'm trying to learn and rebuild upper engine block. Its fun but I'd rather be driving and confident.
Was looking at the same set up. I don't regret it yet but would be nice to have my ride back.

hummerdan

I purchased the Blueprint combo kit. Been sitting in the crate for a few months and should be looking to install it in the next week or two. I chose the kit for convenience purposes.

Rangerbj

Blue Print engines are great. I installed one in my bronco and it runs perfect. Plus a 50,000 mile warranty. Whats not to like.
One hint. Tell Blue Print not to put an HEI ignition on it UNLESS you have a body lift or modified hood, because the original hood will rub on the wires and short it out. I learned the hard way, but just went back to original style distributor with electronic ignition parts.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just bought an engine from Blueprint, and learned some things in the process.
Any of their engines can be ordered with roller rockers, but not all of them come standard. I had to pay extra to have roller rockers on my 347.
Also, if you look at Summit, Jegs, Summit, and Macs, their Blueprint engines have hypereutectic piston, while the engines in the Blueprint add show forged piston.
For these reasons, I ordered direct from Blueprint.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get the Bronco version with the low-end cam installed.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What AZ73 says. I have one and really like it. Plenty of power for most anything other than burning tires and scaring yourself.

OP
OP
a74ranger

a74ranger

Loc.
Athens, GA
I appreciate the responses. I'm planning to do the Bronco version 306/4R70 package.

Curious of any other mods I would need to make on a stock Bronco. I already have a 1" body lift so don't expect any clearance issues. Anything else I need to be concerned with?

Also need to replace my 4 core radiator which has been repaired two times. Any recommendations on a replacement?

Thanks everyone

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have a question that Blueprint has refused to answer.
On their website, they market 302 and 306 engines as if there was a difference.
Both are .040 over-bored 5.0 blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
I appreciate the responses. I'm planning to do the Bronco version 306/4R70 package.

Curious of any other mods I would need to make on a stock Bronco. I already have a 1" body lift so don't expect any clearance issues. Anything else I need to be concerned with?

Also need to replace my 4 core radiator which has been repaired two times. Any recommendations on a replacement?

Thanks everyone

If that package comes with their front accessory drive, I would get some details on what components are in it and measurements to make sure it will play well with whichever radiator/ fan setup you plan on running.

Hard to beat the explorer serp. setup; 4G alt, clutch fan and convert the ps pump to saginaw. Got the 306 w/the sniper a year ago and at the time they wouldn't build it with the explorer timing cover. Maybe they've changed their tune with us bronco guys requesting it all the time.

Last edited:

T-7ToNewOldB

Great engine, blueprint is a good way to go. I have the 347, for not a lot more you get fairly higher torque all across the rpm band. But, both are good engines. You will be happy either way. at 3600 the 347 is about 60ft/lbs more. At 2,400 maybe 40. Plus of a stroker.

Don't sweat it either way though, both very nice engines.

pmansfield64

Contributor
If that package comes with their front accessory drive, I would get some details on what components are in it and measurements to make sure it will play well with whichever radiator/ fan setup you plan on running.

Hard to beat the explorer serp. setup; 4G alt, clutch fan and convert the ps pump to saginaw. Got the 306 w/the sniper a year ago and at the time they wouldn't build it with the explorer timing cover. Maybe they've changed their tune with us bronco guys requesting it all the time.

I received mine a couple of weeks ago after I requested the explorer timing cover and was told they would, still came with the standard cover.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Badandy73 is correct on planning and measuring. I didn’t and was trial and error install. This is 306 with BP front end. If u go with BP gear, suggest u get name of component mfg. during purchase.

Attachments

• 883D815C-A765-4525-B5A2-E5160B1B83CB.jpg
    883D815C-A765-4525-B5A2-E5160B1B83CB.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 168

hummerdan

Badandy73 is correct on planning and measuring. I didn’t and was trial and error install. This is 306 with BP front end. If u go with BP gear, suggest u get name of component mfg. during purchase.

I just finished dropping in the block. What issues did you run into with your install? Are you running a/c? Vintage Air? Any info would be helpful as I proceed. Thank you

Jbwalsh76

BP 306 Package

Get the Bronco version with the low-end cam installed.

Do you need to request a "low-end cam" or are you referring to the cam that comes with the Bronco version?

Cam Specs on the BP website are as follows:
Cam Type: Roller
.533 Intake .554 Exhaust
215 Intake / 220 Exhaust duration
@ .050 - 114 degree lobe separation

tripleJs15

For those that went with the BP 302 (Bronco Version) what accessory drive setups are you using?

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
For those that went with the BP 302 (Bronco Version) what accessory drive setups are you using?

96-01 Explorer 5.0, everything from the timing cover forward including the balancer (if 50oz balance). Ended up ditching the drivers side bracket including the stock exploder pwr. steering pump and went with the WH bracket/ saginaw pump for running hydroboost.

tripleJs15

Ah ok - it would be nice if BP offered an explorer timing cover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk