• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body and suspension

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First time I’ve seen one hitting the frame like that. Are you sure there’s not an extra plate welded on the top of the frame from the previous installation?
And are you sure you’re using the correct holes? I wonder if new holes were drilled originally, or if these are still the factory holes.
The factory holes would have sleeves already, and most do not bother to add the fourth bolt. They simply use three, just as the factory did.

Even though the Borgeson is a common swap, just looks a little different. Probably just my fallible memory at work.
Even though it’s a pain, can you remove the box and get some more pictures of the frame?

Thanks

OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
First time I’ve seen one hitting the frame like that. Are you sure there’s not an extra plate welded on the top of the frame from the previous installation?
And are you sure you’re using the correct holes? I wonder if new holes were drilled originally, or if these are still the factory holes.
The factory holes would have sleeves already, and most do not bother to add the fourth bolt. They simply use three, just as the factory did.

Even though the Borgeson is a common swap, just looks a little different. Probably just my fallible memory at work.
Even though it’s a pain, can you remove the box and get some more pictures of the frame?

Thanks
Yeah I'm pretty sure they are the correct hole because they are sleeved. I welded a patch in that area because it was really mangled and I'm planning on putting a plate on the frame to reinforce that area.

Attachments

• 5698.jpeg
    5698.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 5697.jpeg
    5697.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5696.jpeg
    5696.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 12

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you tilt the box back so that it lines up with the lower hole in the front instead of the upper hole, does that work?
I don’t know how tight the rear holes are, and it looks like they line up correctly. But I believe the lower front hole is the correct one.
The upper one would be the additional.
If it’s able to pivot, obviously that would lift the front of the box off the frame, but I’m not sure what it would do for the rear. Is there enough leeway in the bolt holes?

OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Yeah so the top front hole I drilled
If you tilt the box back so that it lines up with the lower hole in the front instead of the upper hole, does that work?
I don’t know how tight the rear holes are, and it looks like they line up correctly. But I believe the lower front hole is the correct one.
If it’s able to pivot, obviously that would lift the front of the box off the frame, but I’m not sure what it would do for the rear. Is there enough leeway in the bolt holes?
Yeah so the top front hole I drilled. If I tilt the box up I can get it off the frame but I feel like when I put the bottom front bolt in its hits the top of the sleeve. Nothing ever seems to just bolt on.

Attachments

• 5701.jpeg
    5701.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 13
  • 5700.jpeg
    5700.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
So I was able to get the box off the frame a little. Is this good or should it have more clearance?

Attachments

• 5708.jpeg
    5708.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 11

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
my new borgeson box hits the frame in three spots, due to the crappy factory welds on the body mounts. i shaved down the top of the body mount like yours. i also trimmed the 4th box mount due to it hitting another gooped weld of the body mount.

check the clearances on your 4th unused hole and the hole directly below that one. the body mount welds on mine were hitting those areas preventing the box from lining up. i shaved the box mounts a little and it lines up perfectly now

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I was able to get the box off the frame a little. Is this good or should it have more clearance?
Looks fine to me. Certainly there can be a little bit of a flex when it’s under load, but even the stock box had a flange that was pretty close to the top of the frame.

OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
my new borgeson box hits the frame in three spots, due to the crappy factory welds on the body mounts. i shaved down the top of the body mount like yours. i also trimmed the 4th box mount due to it hitting another gooped weld of the body mount.

check the clearances on your 4th unused hole and the hole directly below that one. the body mount welds on mine were hitting those areas preventing the box from lining up. i shaved the box mounts a little and it lines up perfectly now
Ok ill try that out. What do you mean the factory welded are prefect 😆

OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Looks fine to me. Certainly there can be a little bit of a flex when it’s under load, but even the stock box had a flange that was pretty close to the top of the frame.
Ok so I think I got it all figured out for the steering box. I have another question for you about the steering column because I have a 2in body lift it says you need to slot the hole on the bracket.But to me it looks ok. Do you think there's anything else I would need to mock up with the body on the frame.

Attachments

• 5742.jpeg
    5742.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 5743.jpeg
    5743.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 5744.jpeg
    5744.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 9
  • 5840.jpeg
    5840.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 5834.jpeg
    5834.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 5833.jpeg
    5833.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Also the track bar bracket was cut off and for the drop bracket it says to weld on top of the trac bar bracket. Is there any one who sells a regular trac bar bracket to replace the mangled one that's on the truck now?

Attachments

• 5837.jpeg
    5837.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 5836.jpeg
    5836.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 10