• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brake help needed!

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
dayum, wouldnt ya know...big trip sat, and now something seems wrong.

if i come to a normal stop...nothing is wrong. but if i quickly hit the brakes, i get pedal pulse(rapidly) and i can hear some noise like a grinding sound...but not actual metal on metal grinding. the calipers a less than 7 months old along with the pads.

couple weeks ago, while installing crhomo shafts in the front...i noticed we left a inner pass side shim out. so i put that back in today, thinking that would help but it didnt.

bout 6 months ago(when installing 5 sp) i installed a front line-lock. its was free and used...but its only worked a couple times...so i gave up on it. i guess the electric servo..aint happy.

..now when im in rev...and slam the brakes...no pulsing or anything, and the fronts will lock up some. its only when going forward and hitting the brakes fast-thats when i get a noise and feedback.

bronco is a 77,stock booster,late model plastic MC(been on there for a couple yrs) stock front /rear brakes. i know the rear shoes are worn...but rather install rear disc, than new shoes

please help...gotta big trip sat morning!!!

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I know this sounds trivial, but maybe you should try bleeding the system for air bubbles.

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
Yep, your gonna need to inspect the whole front brakes setup. Could be a pad is seperating. I've burnt pads in one year no problem if they are a soft variety and you do a lot of mud running. Look at the rotors for strange signs of wear.

I agree with Shamu regarding rear brakes--unless you don't care about parking/emergency brake. The rear caddy calipers are just more regular maintenance if you want them to work properly. Good luck and drive safe!

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
well, i got it figured out...

i pulled the rear drums and the shoes were worn pretty bad. the problem was...a spring on the forward pass side shoe was missing! i dont know how this happened or when???? i didnt see signs or a broken spring or anything.

i bought the shoes and hardware kit before i even looked at them. i took it out for a test and everything seems good. thanks for the help,Chuck