• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brake lights and turn signals not working

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm having a very intermittent problem with my 66 brake lights and turn signals. Sometime works for days at a time then not work for a day then start working again for no reason. I have all ready replaced the brake switch (hydraulic brake line pressure switch). After reading through the Bronco wiring schematics Ford runs the brake light circuit through the turn signal switch. My question is has this happen to any one else? Is there a fix like cleaning the contacts on turn signal switch or do you have to replace the switch? If you have to replace the switch how hard is it and what should I expect to pay?
Thanks Jeff

broncoguy66

It sounds like the signal switch is going bad. I replaced the one on my '66 when I had to column apart. It was fairly easy. I think all you would have to do is pull the steering wheel. It's been too long since I did mine. I do know it was available from Ford, for less than $20. They (Ford) used the same switch for many many years.

- Mark

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
I currently have the same problem, if I hit the brakes only one brake light comes on. But if I hit the brake and push down on the turn signal lever just a little it comes on. It's a pain in the a$$ but I just haven't gotten around to buying a new switch, I think mine for the 76 automatic is around $60 or something. If anyone has a part # or a link to where one is around $20 that would be great.

Big D

I just replaced the switch in my '77. The cheapest I found was $45 from JBG. Most were in the $60 range.

Big D

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
trun signal switch

Hey thanks for all the input! I would have to agree the signal switch is the culprit. I had gotten a quick fix tip from someone. As crazy as it sounds if you spray WD-40 into the signal switch lever area and into the cancle signal cam area it should fix the problem for a while. And it worked! But I guess it only will for a time and should be replaced on my convenience. So the tip got me out of a pinch, but I will be order a new switch here very soon. Thanks again for all your help! Jeff

broncoguy66

If the WD-40 works, then the problem sounds like the contacts are just getting a little dirty. If you take the wheel off and have access to the switch check the contact point. Try a simple cleaning with either a small file or some medium grit sand paper. You don't need to remove too much metal, just the dirt that gathered on top.

However, if the contacts are burnt or partially distroyed, then you will need to replace the switch.

I just went through this with the emergency brake switch on my SuperDuty. New switch was only $8, but they didn't have one. SoI took it off, filed off the dirt, and it works great again. The point? Simple mechanical switches that are going bad are often replaced when a simple cleaning will return the part to full working order for many years to come.

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
I just went out took off the steering wheel and sprayed carb cleaner into the switch and cleaned it with q-tips. Everything works the way it should. thanks