• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake lights don't work

Lloyd

Loc.
Williamsburg, Kentucky
My brake light switch works at the pedal, my tail light and back up lights work, both blinkers work, but my brake lights don't work. Any ideas on where to begin? Thanks in advance, Lloyd.

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
How much force does it take to activate the switch?

I had a similar problem, almost had to stand on the brakes for the brake lights to come on. Got a new switch, solved the problem

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Just to make sure. Some have reported power and did not realize it had to be both sides when depressed. Take an electrical tester to the switch on the top part of the brake pedal arm. Check to make sure one side is hot (either one), then depress pedal and make sure the other side is hot. The switches seem to go bad fairly often.

Then I would go the the rear light socket and test for power there. Poor grounding can also cause things not towork.

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
turn signal assembly in the steering column . get someone to watch for you while you put your foot on the brake and then wiggle the turn signal lever. see if your lights come on, or back up to a wall or something to see reflection. Do this with the key in the off position. I just replaced one in my buddies '77. He only had one brake light that would work, but hazards, and turn signal worked. problem went away. Hope this helps !!

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
Check the harness connection at the steering column. This was loose and caused my brake lights not to work.

OP
OP
L

Lloyd

Loc.
Williamsburg, Kentucky
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try those suggestions and report back. My progress seems to be one step forward and two steps back. I finally bolted my dash in tonight for the 1000th time and now realize my centech headlight switch is jammed against the apron of my tub. I wonder if I can switch its location with the wiper switch, which is located on the bottom of my dash?? I'm anxious to get this thing on the road but my list keeps growing instead of shrinking!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the light switch in the stock location? If so, have you tried rotating it around? I've never run into that problem with their switches, and just did another one in a '77 with no issues.
It wouldn't fit in with the release pin in the stock orientation, but that was more because the harness didn't really want to go there. Rotated it till it fit and no problem.

Paul

OP
OP
L

Lloyd

Loc.
Williamsburg, Kentucky
I rotated the headlight switch and it fits like a glove. The brake light problem was a blown fuse. Now to the next item on the list. Thanks for the help.

R1bit

turn signal assembly in the steering column . get someone to watch for you while you put your foot on the brake and then wiggle the turn signal lever. see if your lights come on, or back up to a wall or something to see reflection. Do this with the key in the off position. I just replaced one in my buddies '77. He only had one brake light that would work, but hazards, and turn signal worked. problem went away. Hope this helps !!