• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brighter dash lights

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
When I reworked my dash I added LED lights to my speedO cluster, but it is still not bright enough to see at night. What are you guys doing to read the gauges at night? It is a real struggle to read.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I assume if you were rebuilding the cluster that you cleaned the plastic "dome" lenses over the bulbs. Although if you swapped to LED's maybe the domes go away?

Anyway, another option is to switch to the white faced gauges or the aftermarket illuminated gauge kit.

Attachments

• indigreen.jpg
    indigreen.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 79

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I like Jon's option w/the illuminated guage.. Considered that option myself

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
When I took my cluster out to install the voltmeter I found 35 years of dust inside. I cleaned it all up and re-painted the gauge needles and it helped a lot. I did research brighter bulbs but didn't find anything I was satisfied with. You might try measuring the voltage at one of the bulb sockets. The headlight switch contains the variable resistor which controls the brightness. If you don't get close to 12V the resistor could be dirty or just bad. You could try cleaning the resistor out with some contact cleaner.

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Are you aware that by turning the headlight switch knob controls the gauge light brightness? Just wanted to verify you have done that. Some do not know this trick.

Happy Holidays!

6daze

I just switched to LEDs hoping for brighter guages... not so much. The LEDs are not usually brighter, they are more efficent and run cooler.

The illuminated kit might be the answer...

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I should have given more info. I installed the new Painless wiring harness, new headlight switch,LED bulbs and new glass over the cluster. I did turn the headlight knob to the brightest setting.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that's kind of weird deltarat. Not that Broncos had the easiest to read gauges of course, but the bulbs in mine always seemed plenty bright. Even with the original harness.
The old-school lighting scenario is not the best for readability, but the visibility was still plenty good I thought.
Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that would cause yours to be dim. or how to fix it.

Good luck.

Paul

hdfx81

I can't think of the part number for the bulbs now but if you replace the old round bulbs with the elongated bulbs it makes a big difference. I will get the number and post it when I get home from work.

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I can't think of the part number for the bulbs now but if you replace the old round bulbs with the elongated bulbs it makes a big difference. I will get the number and post it when I get home from work.

Thanks, that would be great.

hdfx81

I used wagner 1816 bulbs they are 13 volt. The bright gauges are the 1816 bulbs and the others are the stock bulbs.

Attachments

• DSC00209.JPG
    DSC00209.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00210.JPG
    DSC00210.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00212.JPG
    DSC00212.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 21

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
hdfx---where did you pick up those bulbs?? I also have very dim dash lights---even after a good wipe down/clean out of the gauge cluster. Need to pick up some of those wagner1816s....thanx.

Ohio Bill

Loc.
Riverside, OH
I checked on the Imperial Supplies web sight they list Wagner,GE, Sylvania bulbs all having 3 candle power.
Great find hdfx...Thanks for showing us.

hdfx81

hdfx---where did you pick up those bulbs?? I also have very dim dash lights---even after a good wipe down/clean out of the gauge cluster. Need to pick up some of those wagner1816s....thanx.

I picked them up at NAPA but any autoparts store should have them.