• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken any of these lately ?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=15#93949 date=1040732250]<br>[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=0#93872 date=1040688725]<br>
I use the non greasable 1's and they last twice as long! I can almost get a year out of them! ;D ;D ;D<br>
<br><br>The grease they pack em with is not as good either.<br>You would probably get longer life out of them if you packed them with Sta-Lube Moly-Graph before you installed them. It's a pain in the rear but it's worth it.<br>Keeps water out better too.<br><br>BH<br>[/quote]The greese was like new after 10 months. I usually break a cap or shear the joint in two.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Rulebreaker,<br>Looks like you're breakin a lot more than just rules, Hee Hee, ;D<br>What brand are you buying? Do you bust up genuine Spicer joints like this as well? I have never broken a u-joint myself, but I have installed hundreds and have seen the difference in quality from varying brands. I'm sure you push your rig harder than most though.<br><br>BH

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=15#94065 date=1040775512]<br>[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=15#93949 date=1040732250]<br>[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=0#93872 date=1040688725]<br>
I use the non greasable 1's and they last twice as long! I can almost get a year out of them! ;D ;D ;D<br>
<br><br>The grease they pack em with is not as good either.<br>You would probably get longer life out of them if you packed them with Sta-Lube Moly-Graph before you installed them. It's a pain in the rear but it's worth it.<br>Keeps water out better too.<br><br>BH<br>[/quote]The greese was like new after 10 months. I usually break a cap or shear the joint in two.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Rulebreaker,<br>Looks like you're breakin a lot more than just rules, Hee Hee, ;D<br>What brand are you buying? Do you bust up genuine Spicer joints like this as well? I have never broken a u-joint myself, but I have installed hundreds and have seen the difference in quality from varying brands. I'm sure you push your rig harder than most though.<br><br>BH<br>[/quote]Back when I had the stock axle shaves I put in a new set of Dana spicer joints and went to canada. 4 miles of nast trail and they were totaled! I had to replace everything! Thats why I upgraded to 297 size joints and now I can get about a year out of them. Now that you got me thinking about it the first one I actually sheared right in two was a dana spicer. I cought some air and came down under full throttle (To sofen the landing) and heard a loud pop! I wish I had a digital camera cuz that joint looked like someone cut in half with a hack saw!

G

almost the same thing happened o me and a friend a cpouple a months ago...i have pics and ill post em soon...it was a dana 44 and it wasnt some serious wheelin..<br>dan

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Broke the little factory one back in November. Looked inside the cap and saw where the needle bearings were brinelling the cap.<br><br>Used the new plasma cutter to cut the yoke ears off to pull it out of the housing.<br><br>Full lock, in reverse, on solid rock, spinning tires as the rear bumper was against bedrock.