• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken any of these lately ?

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I went out to do some preliminary testing and fact finding and came home with one of these ... ::)...<br><br>I had fun ...A bad day of wheelin' is better than a good day of anything else ;D<br><br>
U-joint.JPG

71pony

Loc.
SLC Utah
Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!<br><br> That used to happen to me all the time. That is why I run a 60 up front. Have not blown out a front shaft since.<br><br> Well look at it on the good side. At least it is not that hard to fix, and everybody could use the practice for when it happens on the trail..

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Looks like you took a nice picture of mine last February. Looks like it is a pre 1972 1/2. If you have hammer in spindle seals you get to change spindles also if you go to the heavy duty axles. I had just changed put in new axles because they were pitted. I got to change them again after 8hrs of very mild off roading (31 x 10.5). This time I put in the heavy duty type or late 72 and up.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
Looks like it was a great day of wheelin, anytime you do that kind of damage, you were hitting it hard ;)<br><br>Now you can howiebilt it!

72Sport

Bronco Guru
[quote author=dpm77 link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=0#93827 date=1040679896]<br>Looks like it was a great day of wheelin, anytime you do that kind of damage, you were hitting it hard ;)<br><br>Now you can howiebilt it!<br>[/quote]<br><br>I think some of the new axles out there are a little weak especially early 72 or before. I was following two friends one in a late 72 and a 73. There axles all ready had 150K on them. They have never had a problem. We always go out as a group.<br><br>One thing I did notice after mine broke was that the snap ring had wiped all the dust and dirt off of the bearing cup. Maybe this was the indicator that the cup was turning and things were about to break. The rest of them were full of dirt in and around the cup. Might be something to look for after a trip.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Way to go Howie! :-U

What were the results of your preliminary testing? :eek:

And What kind of facts did you find out? :p

What were you doing when it let loose? ?:?

Time to do your magic and Howiebuild the front axle. ;D

Nice pic, I love this sight. ;D

Say, Aren't those Duff "C" bushings? ::)

BH ;D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:-U :-U :-U Been there and done that in the dirt raceing I just put in a new axle and was good to go good luck. 8) 8) 8) Bill 8) ::) :p

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
Had that happen to me in Canada a few years back. The problem was I had to continue to use it and when I got back to camp the shaves could pass each other and not even touch! Total destruction! ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
howiebilt

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
That was an F150 drivers side axle that I snap ringed . You can still see the snap rings in place . It would appear that the caps disintegrated and just left the trunion in place with the snap rings . I had been doing some pretty kule trails and went places nobody has been , but it gave way on a little bitty side hill when I was as far away from the trailer as possible . Luckily for me , there are easy trails that go to any of the hard trails and I was able to 2 wheel it back to the loading dock . I'm not complaining about the strength of the f 150 axles , they aren't broken ...but that darned u-joint is just not up to the task and I really don't want to pay for CTM's $$$$$$.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=0#93857 date=1040686851]<br>That was an F150 drivers side axle that I snap ringed . You can still see the snap rings in place . It would appear that the caps disintegrated and just left the trunion in place with the snap rings . I had been doing some pretty kule trails and went places nobody has been , but it gave way on a little bitty side hill when I was as far away from the trailer as possible . Luckily for me , there are easy trails that go to any of the hard trails and I was able to 2 wheel it back to the loading dock . I'm not complaining about the strength of the f 150 axles , they aren't broken ...but that darned u-joint is just not up to the task and I really don't want to pay for CTM's $$$$$$.<br>[/quote]I use the non greasable 1's and they last twice as long! I can almost get a year out of them! ;D ;D ;D

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=0#93861 date=1040687147]<br>[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=0#93857 date=1040686851]<br>That was an F150 drivers side axle that I snap ringed . You can still see the snap rings in place . It would appear that the caps disintegrated and just left the trunion in place with the snap rings . I had been doing some pretty kule trails and went places nobody has been , but it gave way on a little bitty side hill when I was as far away from the trailer as possible . Luckily for me , there are easy trails that go to any of the hard trails and I was able to 2 wheel it back to the loading dock . I'm not complaining about the strength of the f 150 axles , they aren't broken ...but that darned u-joint is just not up to the task and I really don't want to pay for CTM's $$$$$$.<br>[/quote]I use the non greasable 1's and they last twice as long! I can almost get a year out of them! ;D ;D ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>With the way you drive Rule, I'm surprised they last that long. ;D ;D<br><br>Howie, I can honestly say that I've never broken one on my 67'. But then again I only put 99.2 miles on her before I started to fix her up. ;D

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I use the non greasable 1's and they last twice as long! I can almost get a year out of them! ;D ;D ;D<br>
<br><br>The grease they pack em with is not as good either.<br>You would probably get longer life out of them if you packed them with Sta-Lube Moly-Graph before you installed them. It's a pain in the rear but it's worth it.<br>Keeps water out better too.<br><br>BH

leaded1825

If you do not wont to go with CTM u-joints then use a Spicer 5-760X. It is a new u-joint from Spicer to replace the 5-297X. The article is in Petersen's 4wheel mag(Dec. issue). It says the u-joints are "10 times more durable".Plus the cost is supposed to be 20 dollars. Not bad at all. They will do until I get my CTM's.

OP
OP
howiebilt

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
The ones I'm using now are Napa Super Brutes . They are lifetime joints , so if I take back all of the pieces , they replace them for nothing . Too bad they won't cover the axle damage caused by the u-joint failure .

leaded1825

I just closer to your pic and noticed that it was the axle that failed. If the u-joint fails then one or more of the trunion will be broken off. That did not happen in the pic. I have never used one of the Napa u-joints so I can not say how good or bad they are. I brother says he has used them and does not like them. I think I'll put chromemoly axles (Warn) and CTM's on my x-mass list.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
i`ve broken a few sets the Spicer 5-760X`s.now i`m running the chromoly shafts with CTM`s .we`ll see how they hold up with the 408 ?:?

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=0#93872 date=1040688725]<br>
I use the non greasable 1's and they last twice as long! I can almost get a year out of them! ;D ;D ;D<br>
<br><br>The grease they pack em with is not as good either.<br>You would probably get longer life out of them if you packed them with Sta-Lube Moly-Graph before you installed them. It's a pain in the rear but it's worth it.<br>Keeps water out better too.<br><br>BH<br>[/quote]The greese was like new after 10 months. I usually break a cap or shear the joint in two.

OP
OP
howiebilt

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
[quote author=leaded1825 link=board=5;threadid=12579;start=15#93922 date=1040703409]<br>I just closer to your pic and noticed that it was the axle that failed. If the u-joint fails then one or more of the trunion will be broken off. That did not happen in the pic. I have never used one of the Napa u-joints so I can not say how good or bad they are. I brother says he has used them and does not like them. I think I'll put chromemoly axles (Warn) and CTM's on my x-mass list. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Are you sure ?? It looks to me like the caps are gone and the yoke is still in in one piece ( although badly mangled) My guess is that the caps broke off where the snap rings were attached and they were spit out .<br> What I'm saying about axle failure is that the axle didn't break or twist in half or shear off a yoke ( these are all things that I have had happen in the past )<br> I could be wrong ...that is why I posted the picture . I really don't want to spend the money on CTM's but if I do , would I really need to get alloy axles as well ?:?<br> I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions ;)

leaded1825

I have worked on a competition rock crawler and we had to use the cromemoly axels other wise the axle yoke would brake. The CTM's are the strongest out there right now and a regular axle will not hold up. If you are running a Atlas or twin stick when you engage the front end to do a tight turn than added stress put on the axle and u-joint. Just what I have experienced.