• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken D30... need info regarding getting D44

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
So we finially got the time to take the cover off and there were all kinds of metal chuncks that came out. After looking at it, my ring and pinion were toast. So I can either get that fixed or go to a D40. My thought is with the D40 and I don't know all the details regarding what I would need or look for. Any help would be great. ... Sorry I meant D 44 not a 40

Last edited:

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
The Dana 40 is a very rare axle and only came on the limited production postal Broncos with RH drive and stock 31 spline rear axles. These also came with the factory installed 351 Windsor, another hard to find option.;) ;) ;)

You would be better off looking for the Dana 44; they are fairly easy to find for around $150 to 400.

U

Unregistered

look in the classifieds here for a 44.

You need ot match your gears

will need a trac bar

depending on the year of 44 you might need the steering linkage.

Also check with a few of the guys that sell this stuff. Broncolove (bought mine form, great guy), or broncoconnection.net.

good luck!

its an easy swap

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You may want to checkout Toms bronco parts they are fairly close to you and should have any part you need

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
So will any Dana 44 work or do I need to look for something special other than matching up my gears? What is actually involved in trading this out?

grizzman

Loc.
Juneau, AK
broke 30

Awrnie, all Bronco's have a trac bar. It is the bar that connects between the axle and the truck frame. With out it the body would not stay in line with the front and the truck would uncontrollable.

I have never done a 44 conversion (never saw the need) but I do not know why you would need to change the trac bar, different bushing size maybe. Just keep in mind that if you by a used axle, you are inheriting something that is "used" and along with that comes "used" problems. Most places will garauntee their stuff but that is only after you do all of the work to take the faulty part back off to return it.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
The Dana 30 and 44 use different Trac Bars. The D30 bar will hit the larger housing of the D44; one option if a stock trac bar can't be found is to buy a new adjustable length trac bar- this will help relocate the axle properly if your Bronco is lifted.

OldieTwoShoes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
you should try to get a D44 from another early bronco not the older ones because they are wider, i havent done the swap but i plan too and it seems to be relatively easy and straight forward, gl

grizzman

Loc.
Juneau, AK
4byford, good info on the trac bar! I have never done a 44 swap, I prefer to upgrade my 30, it's all a matter of personal preferance. Awrnie can use all the help she can get and there is a lot of good knowledge here!

Grizzman

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Re: Broken D30... need info regarding getting D40

Awnrie69 said:
So we finially got the time to take the cover off and there were all kinds of metal chuncks that came out. After looking at it, my ring and pinion were toast. So I can either get that fixed or go to a D40. My thought is with the D40 and I don't know all the details regarding what I would need or look for. Any help would be great.
look up pigpen on this board. He has and does what you are looking for. Complete and parts for 44 s and HP44s and he is in Vancouver WA.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 44 is a stronger axle, but they cost more because people want them to replace...
The dana 30, which is too small for a bronco that gets driven hard.
The 30 also has archiec king pins on the knuckles. Good thing about a 30 is that they are cheap, if they aren't broken. A complete 30 in working order is worth $100~150. Broken they are worth the value of scrape steel.
A bare 44 housing goes for about $150, and goes up(a lot) from there. If you go cheap and get a 30, be careful. There are a lot of broken ones to be had.
If you find 2 trucks in in a yard in equeal condition. one has a 44 in it and the other a 30. Good bet the 30 is broken and the 44 is still good. Come back the next day and the 44 will be gone.

the 44 has bigger bearings, gears, housing, pricetag, everything. The only down side to the stock EB dana 44 is that they kept the undersized U-jonts from the 30, but that is easily upgraded.

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I spoke with a friend who knows someone that would sell their 44to me. He was stating something about u joints and what kind they were but it was over my head. He said that it would be the complete axel with disk brakes and it had a locker in it. The guy would also take out the gears that are there and put in gears that would match mine so all I should need to do is bolt it up for 1000. Just need to decide if that is the best way to go I guess.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
not to bad a deal

some places would charge ya 500 just to put in the gears

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
Unfortunately he changed his mind about doing his swap out and I am looking at 2-3 months. So now I am on the search. I am hoping to have it ready for SOB in three weeks

OP
OP
A

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
That is currently in process so I am hoping that something will workout. I have 2 weekends left before SOB