• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Nose down

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
My 77 has what I call nose dive. the front is almost 2 inches lower than the rear. I was thinking about replacing the front coils but I don't know if I should just get the OEM height one from WH or the 1 1/2"-2" ones? I have measured both the wheel wells and the frame rails. Could there be a lift on the rear from the prior owner?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
2 questions: hard top on or off? and heavy front winch bumper?

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Here is the front
4pg7hcG.jpg

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well if it still has the stock front coils from '77 then I'm sure there would be your drop.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What's the clearance between the axle and the frame?
Trying to judge how much is spring sag and how much is the heavy bumper.
And maybe how much is from an extra leaf in the rear springs?

Attac

Contributor
Yep what halfcab said. No top+winch bumper will = nose dive.
I would call and tell them what config you are running to get your springs.
They make front springs just for fronts with winch bumpers but you have no top on rear.
Chuck

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Take a tape measure and measure between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of the frame rails. If you are close to 7" in the front and 6" in the rear, then you're very close to it's original height but I bet your gonna have a couple " sag in front.

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Take a tape measure and measure between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of the frame rails. If you are close to 7" in the front and 6" in the rear, then you're very close to it's original height but I bet your gonna have a couple " sag in front.

Thanks for that advice. I will do that today. People on this board are great!

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Did some measuring today. Front axel to frame is: 6" from the bump stop to frame it is 1 1/4" back axel to frame is 7 3/4" So I got 1 3/4" more in the back vs the front.

tpatton75

Stock levels 7” front 6” back jack front body till you get 9” see what it looks like 21/2 spring might sag 1/2” with your bumper

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
So the front is 1" low from stock and 1-3/4" high in the rear from stock. If they were
originally a 2 inch lift front and rear from stock the front as dropped a whole lot.

You have a tough decision to make now. Do you get a 2 inch lift spring or a 3 inch spring?
Might help to go to a public scale and weigh the front wheels on the scale, the combined weight with all wheels and just the rear wheels on the scale.

gravylakeseb

Loc.
Fresno
I have a 1973 Bronco with full hardtop I bought new. The pavement handling was horrible when turning, and especially when braking. I put 3 inch lift coil springs up front and added a 1 inch lift leaf spring in the rear when I put 33 inch BFG's on it. The front end of the body was higher than the rear, but it really improved the handling, especially when braking. I also added 7 degree track bar bushing to regain caster. A few years ago I added a 1977 full length front axle assembly for disc brakes and all went fine.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
What is the U15* number on the glove box data tag? (U152 153?) You could have a medium or heavy duty stock suspension. They sat anywhere from 1" to 1.5" higher in the rear from the factory. Add the winch bumper and that explains the difference.

A 2-2.5" front spring should level it out pretty well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree on the suggestion of getting the truck weighed. Just so you know. And it's easier than removing the bumper and winch just to weigh them separately!

And though I always hate to say it, in this case I would definitely not recommend our stock height front coils. As a variable rate coil, the initial rate is quite soft for a good street ride. But that characteristic would probably allow it to sag down at least 3/4" which puts you right back where you were.
I would either go with the taller 2.5" coil right off the bat (because you're already almost 2" over stock in the rear anyway) and risk sitting a tiny bit low in the front still, or get a coil designed specifically for a winch bumper such as BC offers.

It will have a stiffer rate of course, but that's the compromise. You can't have heavier weight and add softer coils and get everything to fall where you want every time.
Glad you thought of our coils first, and we could still get you pretty close with the 2.5" version, but you would almost certainly use up most of, if not all of, the initial soft rate coils from the additional weight.

We might be closer to where you are, which will save in shipping, so that's something to consider, but maybe before you make the decision let us see some more detailed pics of the underside of your rig. Rear springs and axle setup specifically, but any other pics of the front suspension and steering as well might help.

Thanks

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's the goal here? Level? Nose up? Mine was droopy in the back when I bought it, put on a 3.5" CAGE lift and it went face down/butt up, so now I'm addressing that as I swap over to F150 axles, because I prefer a more level look versus raked one way or the other. That said, it sounds like going with a 2.5" lift spring should level things up more or less.

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Goal is to get it somewhat level. The 2.5 " springs don't makes sense to me. The OEM spring are sagging. We can all agree on that, via the measurement I made that the front axel is only 6" from the frame. The rear is higher than normal but not by 2.5" it is closer to 1.5 so to me the 1.5 " springs make more sense.... I am confused. I have 1 goal before I take the step, I need to get rid of a 1979 Ford T-bird that is in my garage and in the way, plus it will give me a few funds to keep moving on the Bronco. Anybody want a 79 t-bird... :(
ugRdlxJ.jpg

Last edited: