• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Burning up Voltage Regulators

OP
OP
Annapolis76EB

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
I have a difference of .6 volts between the wires. What kind of issues would this cause? Could this be part of my problem? I guess it would be easy enough to run a new wire to the ignition switch. My only concern would be I would have to splice in and out of the megafuse right?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was wondering about that mega-fuse, but that in a moment.
If what Phil says is correct (and it usually is) even that 6 tenths of a volt should not be a problem for the regulator. Yes, it does indicate an issue with the circuit, but evidently not enough to cause your troubles. At least some of that drop could be due to an obviously modified circuit, with that fuse, and associated connectors.

Now, back to the Mega-Fuse. Can you post up a pic or three? Not sure why that wire would be going through a fuse. So obviously, things have been added, moved, and generally messed with.
Be nice to see what's up.

Paul

OP
OP
Annapolis76EB

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Now that I look at it I dont think that green wire from the VR goes through the fuse thing. Definitely a green wire, but not the ignition wire I dont think. Anyways, here is a pic.

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Annapolis76EB

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Since I am already beating this dead horse, could a bad ignition switch be causing the .6 volt difference? If I rerun that wire, should I just replace the switch as well while I am at it? Or maybe replace the switch and see if that cures it? Or maybe if the difference really wont effect anything I might just leave it. What would be the symptoms that the voltage difference would cause? I sure have learned a lot about alternators and voltage regulators today. One thing I will note is my charging voltage at the battery changed from around 14.35 to 14.15 when I grounded the VR to the alternator. Not sure if this is relevant, but it was something I did notice.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have a difference of .6 volts between the wires. What kind of issues would this cause? Could this be part of my problem? I guess it would be easy enough to run a new wire to the ignition switch. My only concern would be I would have to splice in and out of the megafuse right?

If the voltage on the green-red wire gets low enough (don't know how low that is) it'll turn off the VR. Just like when turning off the key. It won't damage anything but it won't charge your battery either.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Now that I look at it I dont think that green wire from the VR goes through the fuse thing. Definitely a green wire, but not the ignition wire I dont think. Anyways, here is a pic.

That's your horn relay.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Since I am already beating this dead horse, could a bad ignition switch be causing the .6 volt difference? If I rerun that wire, should I just replace the switch as well while I am at it? Or maybe replace the switch and see if that cures it? Or maybe if the difference really wont effect anything I might just leave it. What would be the symptoms that the voltage difference would cause? I sure have learned a lot about alternators and voltage regulators today. One thing I will note is my charging voltage at the battery changed from around 14.35 to 14.15 when I grounded the VR to the alternator. Not sure if this is relevant, but it was something I did notice.

If your battery is charging well I wouldn't worry too much about it. There will be some voltage difference because of the longer path, several connections and switch in the green-red wire. That all helps to drive it further away from the pos battery post potential (more negative). The yellow wire has a short path direct to the starter solenoid.

OP
OP
Annapolis76EB

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Thanks for the help Phil and Paul. I think I have it all wired up right now. I took the ground/kill switch out, ran my battery ground to the block, a starp from the block to the frame and tied in another ground from the frame to the body. Hopefully this, along with my ground from the VR to alt, will solve my electrical issues. Now I just have to get that new alt to stop squeeling. I am going to try a new belt, but I think I might need to add some washers to get it lined up better. Thanks again for walking me through this guys.