• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C-4 leaks while driving

jerrybromley

Contributor
Yea, my C-4 leaks while driving but I can't get it to leak in the shop, other wise works well ...Any ideas ??? I have put a kit in the transmission. I assume I screwed something up. I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction to find the problem

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of kit? A shift kit?
Does it seem to be coming from the front, rear, or middle of the transmission?
Have you looked at the back for a leak around the modulator? What about in the upper middle around the cooling tubes?
Does it seem to be coming from the bell housing?

We can’t see it from here and there are plenty of places to leak from, so more digging on your part is likely going to be necessary.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yea, my C-4 leaks while driving but I can't get it to leak in the shop, other wise works well ...Any ideas ??? I have put a kit in the transmission. I assume I screwed something up. I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction to find the problem
See if it's leaking from the vent. That's on top the adapter to the tcase. If it is leaking there it's either overfilled or getting too hot.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I had a c4 that blew fluid out of the vent. I chased that issue for a while. Turns out I had mixed up dipsticks from a pile of parts and was overfilling it. Are you sure you have the correct dipstickI and it is not overfilled?

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
The kit I put in the tranny was a stock rebuild kit. I even bought a video from Bad Shoe Productions .( I thought I followed the instructions. ) I think it quite possible that the fluid is coming from the vent . I have been tempted to put a hose and catch can to verify this.
I believe this is the right dip stick . I will verify this when I drop the pan
So, if it is overheating, are there things I can check before I pull the tranny out and what should I look for after I pull it
And if it is not over heating what could leak only while driving.
I would take it to a transmission shop ...but in northern Michigan I don't have any shops close by

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
when filled cold the fluid level just barely reads on the very tip of the dipstick when checked with engine running. takes allot of heat for the c-4 to be hot and in the upper range of the dipstick range. At least that is what my 1974 automatic wants. fill to the low cold mark and it will vent fluid at freeway speeds when the tranny gets hot.

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
So Rustytruck , if I understand correctly , you are saying that the tranny will blow out any extra fluid at highway speeds ?
I know that I filled the tranny cold to the full line .

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yep it will blow out excess fluid out the vent. as it warms up when over full the fluid foams up and pushes it out the vent. mine would do it a freeway speeds and especially running up hill. first sign you will see is oily spots all over your tailgate.

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Well, I have my new disc brakes installed ( so I can test drive it ) and I checked the fluid level in the tranny after I let it warm up on jack stands . Sure enough the fluid level was over full . I sucked out about 3 pints and took it for a test drive . I put roughly 15 miles on her and there was very little transmission fluid under the Bronco . Thanks for the advise Rustytruck ! I tend to always assume the worst when something like this comes up . Very nice to have some one else's experience to draw on