• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 storage

xltbeast

Loc.
Lake Placid, NY
Ok C4 and automatic gurus, I am looking for a replacement C4 and found one locally that was originally out of a bronco but have some questions about how it was stored. The story is that it was rebuilt and then never ran or even installed. It has been stored completely dry for a few years. If this story rings true I am worried about the affects of storing the tranny dry. It looks like the torque converter was left on so the input was sealed up but the pan has no dip stick so the pan was not sealed.

What do you see as potential problems... I don't want to buy a tranny for $350 that needs a full rebuild.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Take the pan off and look around inside. Also look at the output end. I would expect just very little to no surface rust from the moisture in the air. Any heavy rust and it becomes questionable.

OP
OP
xltbeast

xltbeast

Loc.
Lake Placid, NY
Do you see any potential problems with the internal workings if it has only slight surface rust? (all assuming the rebuild was done correctly)

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Do you see any potential problems with the internal workings if it has only slight surface rust? (all assuming the rebuild was done correctly)

Back in the 80's mine sat in the garage for 5 or 6 years dry after a rebuild. I was so worried. When I took it apart there actually was a little tranny fluid in the pan presumably from the rebuild assembly fluid draining down into the pan. I saw no rust as everything had an oily residue from the rebiuld (I guess). I put a new torque converter on it and changed the fluid within about a hundred miles of driving it. I was sooooo worried.
To this day I am still running this tranny. Still shifts great.
The "Old Man" told me not to worry. Guess he was right.

willtel

Mine sat for 12 years in a garage with no fluid in it. Works fine now.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

As the others have said, light surface rust is probably ok. Its pools of water that cause major problems inside. I've seen trans that were sitting outside and not sealed with output shafts, clutches, and pumps so heavily pitted that they were unusable.