• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 won't shift into "Passing Gear"

bralston

All, I have a bronco with a C4 transmission that will not shift into the passing gear. Once I hit highway speeds and floor the gas pedal the transmission doesn't shift up into the passing gear. The transmission has been recently rebuilt and shifts and runs smooth, it really is a great transmission from all other aspects. Just wondering if it is designed not to shift up into a passing gear or if it is adjustable?

thanks,

Brad

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
1) Check your kickdown lever from the throttle linkage. This makes it downshift when you punch it.

2) Check the vacuum modulator on the back of the transmission - it might need adjusting . A small screwdriver is all you need to play with the shift points.

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
little off topic, but what are the max rpm's for a 351W when you really give it the gas and the transmission does kick down? I will be doing like 40 mph and sometimes really wanna goose it, but am a little hesitant cause I think my RPM's will be too high in 2nd gear for the C4. I have a newly rebuilt 351W with a mild cam and about 2,100 miles on the engine. thanks for the input....I have 4.11 gears with 33's so close to stock gearing...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bralston

I would answer that but I would be wrong. Makes me wonder if I really want to jack with that kickdown lever.....

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
You should be all right down shifting to 2nd at 40mph. I've got a 5.0 and have no troubles all the way up to 5500 RPM. Since I have no kickdown, I sometimes pull it down into 2nd going up hill on the highway. I'll do this around 50 - 60mph or so. I've got 4:11's and 35" tires. The C4 should be able to take it no problem assuming there are no other problems with it.

I couldn't tell you what a 351 redlines at - only that I'm jealous of your power!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a page out of the 73 manual that describes how you can shift the C4.

Attachments

• 73man-17x.jpg
    73man-17x.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
B

bralston

Okay, the entire thing is missing upon examination. There is no downshift rod anywhere on the transmission or carb.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't have one on mine either. I haven't felt that I really needed it.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
bralston said:
Okay, the entire thing is missing upon examination. There is no downshift rod anywhere on the transmission or carb.
You can get by for awhile without one but in the long run it's easier on the tranny if you get one on there.

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
I've got no kick down either (project 489 of 11,267 on the list ;D ) Currently, my right hand serves that purpose for me. It will drop down to 2nd when I mash it below about 45 though, so I rarely have to pull it down to 2nd anyway.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
I have a question about shifting into 4 wheel drive with the C4. Is the transmission supposed to be in park when shifting into 4 wheel, or neutral? Engine running or not running? When I bought my 1975 Bronco, we had a somewhat difficult time getting it into 4 wheel, and it seem to require some monkeying with putting the truck into and out of gear to get the 4 wheel to actually engage.

Any hints or suggestions on this subject would be very much appreciated.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Rob1962 said:
I have a question about shifting into 4 wheel drive with the C4. Is the transmission supposed to be in park when shifting into 4 wheel, or neutral? Engine running or not running? When I bought my 1975 Bronco, we had a somewhat difficult time getting it into 4 wheel, and it seem to require some monkeying with putting the truck into and out of gear to get the 4 wheel to actually engage.

Any hints or suggestions on this subject would be very much appreciated.

You should be able to go from 2 high to 4 high with the transmission in gear. If you want to go to 4 Low then you need to put it in Neutral first. That's the way it's supposed to work. But with some age on these beast I have had to turn off the Bronco to change from 4 high to 2 high.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
daddyg said:
You should be able to go from 2 high to 4 high with the transmission in gear. If you want to go to 4 Low then you need to put it in Neutral first. That's the way it's supposed to work. But with some age on these beast I have had to turn off the Bronco to change from 4 high to 2 high.

Thanks so much for that info. I'll have to give that a try and see how it works. This is the first time I've had a 4 Wheel Drive with and auto-trans, so I really wasn't too sure. I'm hoping its a non-use issue mostly, and that I don't need to rebuild the t-case, etc.

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
You can even shift between 2h and 4h while moving - no major problem there. Going from 4hi to 4lo or vise versa, you'll need to be in Neutral or Park. Remember, your t-case is the better part of 40 years old, so it will probably shift like it. My problem is always getting the thing OUT of 4lo. I have to do the 'Bronco Dance' which consists of several trips between drive and reverse and just a little but of swearing. Mine tends to slip out of 4 lo best while rolling forward after going backwards.

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
I always put my tranny in neutral then shift into 4 hi or 4 low. It seems to be the easiest way without having to fight it into and out of gear.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I don't use the kickdown. I shift it manually if necessary.

I've tried to shift into 4high while in drive and I always get gear clatter. I usually put it in neutral.