• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam for stock 1996 351 W ?

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have a stock 351 from a '96 van
Ran good before I pulled it , 90K miles on it

Looking to see if there is a RV cam that would make more low end power or is the stock one the best ?
I don't plan on changing the heads or even pulling them
I don't plan on pulling anything on the engine

Also what's the easiest way to verify that this is a roller cam engine ?

EB Currently has a stock 1990 mustang 5.0
I have the BC intake adapter to use the stang upper intake
What are yall using for front accessories on efi 351's ?

Will the mustang stuff fit ?

Alpacket

I just rebuilt a 351w and put in a Comp Cams XE258 roller cam for exactly the reason you're talking about. And I think that cam is efi compatible, if I remember right. The problem would be, while it has a short duration, the 258 has just under .55 in of lift at the rocker on the exhaust valve, and I would be uncomfortable using it without roller rockers, thick wall pushrods, and a beefed up timing set. And of course new springs. But I think you might have that problem with most aftermarket cams.

I don't know of any way to verify a roller cam visually other than removing the intake manifold.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm running a 351w with gt40's and the stock 96 van shortblock and the power is great. I have a XE264 to put into it, but I have not had a real reason to do it.

Its easier to put a cam in when the engine is out - so if you are unsure I would just do it.

I'm running explorer accessories and everything fits great.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I don't which cam to recommend, but I had a Ford 1996 Van with the 351W. Awesome power, I would just use it.

Yup. Got the same year 351W form the same application. The cam and lifters looked good so they went back in after the rebuild.

I haven't fired it up yet (adding EFI is taking some time) but if it could get that big heavy E350 down the road, it should do well in the Bronco.

Tim

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It can be kind of hit or miss on wether it has a roller cam or not but I would say you have a good chance of having a roller cam in a 96 van. If you do have a roller cam the 96 351W roller cam engine should have what is known as the explorer cam it has good low end power. Id leave it in there if you dont want to tear into it.
About the only way to check without pulling the intake is to pull a valve cover you might be able to se down the pushrod hole and see if the lifters have a cross bar. Might be easier just to remove a pushrod. a flat tappet pushrod is about 8.1 in long where a roller pushrod is about 7.5in long.