• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam sensor gear material

jcb9089

Using cam sensor from 97, 4.2 engine. Can't find anywhere what material of the gear is.

I'm running comp cam with temperature iron which needs either composite or hardened steel gear.

Can anyone tell what material gear is from the pic or know from experience?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200523_140245.jpg
    20200523_140245.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 14

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The first thing I did was hit Rockauto.com and look at what a '97 4.2 cam looks like. They have cam and lifter kits. Stock replacement. Roller cam.

Sounds like that is the answer, but it isn't. Looking at the cam there is no distributor/oil pump drive gear. Remembering those engines the oil pump is in the front cover. So the gear is a bolt on. The gear can be made of any material and that could be different than the cam. So back to no idea what the material is. My bet, cast iron. Why? The original 3.8 engine dates back to the cast iron days of the early 80s. They knew cast iron for gears, been working with it for decades. So the original engine design gets a cast iron gear. As the engine matures and turns into the 4.2 there is no reason to redesign the gear as it works. It happens to bolt to a different material of camshaft, but it probably is the same old gear. So my best guess for that gear you have, cast.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would have to say no. Not until you determine that the gear was indeed steel rather than cast-iron.
It's a roller cam designed specifically (they say) to replace cams in '85 to '02 engines. Which were all roller cam engines that would have had distributors AND cam sensors (in the Explorer) with gears designed to be compatible with roller cams.

Does that sender fit any other engines? If so they could have changed the material after all. But if it only fits the 4.2 then I agree with the previous statements about Ford likely leaving the gear in the old cast material.
It sure looks smooth though, doesn't it? Just like a steel gear for a roller cam.
But with later production methods I've noticed it's harder and harder to tell an iron gear from a steel. They used to be a lot rougher looking.

I think by specifying that material they're just stating for the record that it is not a "billet steel" race cam. Which would require a bronze or synthetic gear if I'm not mistaken.
I think it's a crime that after 30 years or more of making cams that require different gear materials, they still don't just spell it out for every product. Every cam, every distributor, and everything that effects those two things should state simply what it needs to be used with.
If they don't want to put a whole paraghraph on each part, just use the old "special notes" method. Easy peasy, and would save a lot of headaches.

I'd wait until you find out what the gear material is.
You're not likely going to find it on the parts listings, because they're only responsible for making sure you know if fits and works in it's originally intended application.
They're not responsible for modified vehicle results.

Good luck.

Paul