• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can a bad throw out bearing seize engine?

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Wow! I did not expect to hear the crank broke in half! Sorry to hear that. You still thinking 351 or going to stick with a 302?

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Wow! I did not expect to hear the crank broke in half! Sorry to hear that. You still thinking 351 or going to stick with a 302?

Yeah there went my paint money. I got a buddy that has a 302 out of a Police Interceptor. Don't know if there is any difference between that and a normal 302. I would like to go with a 351 but it all depends if I can find one. I might stick with the 302 since I already have the Edelbrock intake and I might get a hot cam and put in it. You got a extra 351 laying around? And trying to stay under a budget.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
We need pics!

You don't know what a busted crank looks like??...;D
Ill try to get some while its still in but it will be a couple weeks before I take the engine out. Gotta find a replacement. Don't want to use that block, afraid there is more damage to the block

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I've never seen a crank brake in something that was not running a blower!

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Yeah there went my paint money. I got a buddy that has a 302 out of a Police Interceptor. Don't know if there is any difference between that and a normal 302. I would like to go with a 351 but it all depends if I can find one. I might stick with the 302 since I already have the Edelbrock intake and I might get a hot cam and put in it. You got a extra 351 laying around? And trying to stay under a budget.

You know you really like that purple anyhow!

I had an extra 302 I gave away, but it would have needed rebuilding anyhow. It would be quicker to get a crate motor or a known good running motor. Call Stephen at Emerald Coast Auto Salvage in PC and see if he has a good running late model 5.0. I only gave $500 for a 98 5.0 from an Explorer with 126,000 miles on it. Easy swap really, but for your manual tranny you'd need a bracket to make the clutch equalizer work, and you'd most likely have to switch to an electric fuel pump. Your front dress and intake would swap over though.

EDIT: Check out this option from a member here...
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272222

That would accomplish motor, EFI, and serpentine!

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That sucks. :p

I've seen this a few times before. Years back a buddy drove his truck by my house and asked if I could help him with some loose belts. After looking into it I found that the belts were loose because the front of the crank, balancer, and bottom pulley was just flopping. It broke in the middle of the second rod journal back. Still ran fine. :eek: