• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb fuel issue help

TXBronco 67

Loc.
Katy
Stock rebuilt 302 with edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb and a manual fuel pump. The issue is after it sits for a few days, I can't get it to start without pulling the fuel line at the carb. I have an inline glass filter before the carb so it's getting fuel. So I crank it over a bit, then pull the fuel line off and it has pressure on it. A small amount of fuel comes out of the fitting, hook line back up and it starts right up. There doesn't appear to be any blockage or anything, so the only thing I can think is air in the line is causing the issue because the fuel seems to be draining back past the pump. Any ideas?

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Could be a weak mechanical pump draining back or leak in a line some where. Had similar problems and replaced the pump. Problem solved.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
One thing I would do is get rid of the glass fuel filter, and put a metal or plastic one on.

OP
OP
T

TXBronco 67

Loc.
Katy
Thanks, I'll change the filter and pump to see if it fixes the issue. The pump isn't very old, but it's worth try...thanks again

OP
OP
T

TXBronco 67

Loc.
Katy
I put a new inline metal filter before the carb and replaced the line from the pump. Problem solved! No blockage on the old stuff so I'm not sure what the deal was...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The fuel in the float bowls evaporates. In hot weather it's gone in a day or two. In cold weather it takes a week or more depending on how cold and the fuel blend. The engine needs to be cranked few seconds to refill the float bowls. In the Az desert this has always happened to carbureted vehicles, that aren't driven daily.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Maybe just a leaky hose or hose clamp. Check all hoses and clamps from the tank to the carb. Pull the dip stick and smell the oil for raw fuel in it. A failing fuel pump only has 2 paths they either dump fuel out the exterior weep hole or pump fuel into the crank case. I once rebuilt a motor that the fuel pump failed into the crank case and was driven full of fuel. The inside of the engine was as clean as new. The bearings and rings were wasted but it was an easy rebuild.

Glad you got it back up and running.