• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb suggestions, switching from 2 to 4

ZachRedman

Loc.
Las Vegas
Swapping out my 2 barrel for a 4. Anyone have any suggestions? Worried about hood clearance. Don't really want to put a scoop in if at all possible.

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
I upgraded from stock to 4bbl not too long ago. Put in Edelbrock intake and carb and I love it. Much more responsive especially when you get on it. I should mention that I have a 1" BL and it's a street rig. No offroad unless someone bets me I can't do something that their jeep can do

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Use a stock ford dual plane intake, and if you can find a 1.08 auto lite 4100, go for this. That's what I have, and I love it!

707Bronk

The 14xx series edelbock is a really good street performer, not so good off road, off camber situations. They are very easy to work on and rebuild. Very reliable, and not much to tune.

They are however prone to percoliation where they will boil the fuel out of the bowls when the engine sits after being driven. If you have this problem you want to get a phenolic spacer. I installed a 1/2" thick one on mine, and it seems to help (would have gotten a 1" spacer, but not enough room under hood with 351W).

If you plan on doing lots of off camber wheeling you might consider either a Qjet or a Holley Truck Avenger. And despite what people tell you an oversized carb tend to make your car run lean, and an undersized carb can make your car run rich.

I have been looking around for a deal on 670 CFM Holley Truck Avenger. I've been told you don't want a 1st Gen TA though.

There are also air filter bottom housings offset the diameter as well as drop the height of whole airfilter if clearance is an issue.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not to hijack, but as long as we're talking about carbs, why is everyone so into Holly TAs and not Edlebock Thunder Series AVS?

707Bronk

Not to hijack, but as long as we're talking about carbs, why is everyone so into Holly TAs and not Edlebock Thunder Series AVS?

I think because the Thunder Series is still designed for street performance and the Truck Avenger are specifically designed for off camber performance. Although the TA's still have thier limits and EFI is still the way to bo.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I have ran the Thunder AVS Offroad for almost 8 years now. It is a great carb for everything. It does have its limits, but overall I have been happy.

707Bronk

I have ran the Thunder AVS Offroad for almost 8 years now. It is a great carb for everything. It does have its limits, but overall I have been happy.

I think you are the first person who I ran across that has a thunder AVS offroad carb. I don't know much about them at all. What features do they have that make them better off camber. And, do you think is it possible to adapt those features to a regular 1400 series carb (assuming the two are similar design)?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2 on the Autolite 4B 4100 (1.08 venturi, 480cfm) mounted on a stock Ford 4b dual plane intake or an Edelbrock Performer. Very nice upgrade, extremely reliable, set the correct tune for your engine and forget it. still the best carb ever. No clearance issues at all with a dropped base air cleaner.

A nice Cam would help as well. Comp Cams XE256H or XE262H are both very nice street cams with lots of torque and throttle response as well.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think because the Thunder Series is still designed for street performance and the Truck Avenger are specifically designed for off camber performance. Although the TA's still have thier limits and EFI is still the way to bo.

You know how passionate the uncut guys are? Carb guys can be just as passionate about keeping their carbs. EFI is cool but it's been done and done again. Practically doesn't always control our builds. I don't care to see EFI under my hood.;)

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I ran an 1826 which is Edelbrock's off road version, my brother in law ran a Holley. Once I got it tuned it was fantastic and I never had to mess with it. It was great off road, much better than the Volley, that seemed to need adjusting about every other oil change.

cclay

Swapping out my 2 barrel for a 4. Anyone have any suggestions? Worried about hood clearance. Don't really want to put a scoop in if at all possible.
A lot of good comments but unless you tell what your motor setup is and what your main use of the vehicle is, it's all redundant.

The previous owner of my rig with a stock 351 put a new Edelbrock manifold and 800cfm Thunder street series carb on and it was a total POS combo. Ok on the street but it wouldn't take ANY offroad abuse at all and that's my primary use. Ran richer than J. Paul Getty and stalled on every steep hill or whoop section. It now sits on my bench. FOR SALE! Brand new.

I got a stock 2bbl carb, rebuilt it and it runs like a bunny thru the jungle. Was getting 7mpg with the old and now 12 to 14 average.

But again, it depends on your use.

OP
OP
ZachRedman

ZachRedman

Loc.
Las Vegas
Thanks for the info. Looking to improve performance and mpg, but worried about performance off camber when off roading.

matts460

HAHA a 800cfm carb on a stock 351w sounds like somthing some old friends from highschool would have done infact If you think thats bad they put a tunnel ram with two 600 holleys on a stock 80's 350 chevy and wonderd why it was slower at the local drag strip. hehe

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I suggest a q-jet. They have a good off-road rep, and you solve the spacer problem with the BCB adapter. As long as you don't intend to do any drag racing they're great carbs.

I put one on my built 351 that just got dyno'd yesterday and it ran great. I opted for a summit rebuilt model instead of the stage one or two jet performance carbs because they are about $120 cheaper and I'm happy with it.

I realize you said you don't do any offloading, but ya never know I suppose. I had an edelbrock 1406 on a 302 and it was total crap in any off camber situation. Just my $0.02

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You do realize that one of the best off road carburators and most reliable carburators is already on your truck right?

I wheel with a guy that runs a stock Motorcraft 2 bbl, he does some crazy stuff with that rig!

Nightstick

Bronco guy
You do realize that one of the best off road carburators and most reliable carburators is already on your truck right?

I wheel with a guy that runs a stock Motorcraft 2 bbl, he does some crazy stuff with that rig!

I agree and have witnessed the same. I think he's looking for a little more performance and not worried about off road ability.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Autolite makes many different size 2-Barrels as well. Much easier install than larger 4B.

Earlier Broncos came with a 1.08 venturi 2B Carb at 287cfm.

Don't remember what year it changed, but the later run of EBs had the 1.21 venturi carb at 351cfm.

Which size Venturi carb do you have installed now? Either a "1.08" or "1.21" circled on the driver's side of the carb.

I have a larger 2B, 1.33 venturi (424cfm) installed on a 302 with mind cam, headers and exhaust. Seems to be a perfect set up and works very well together. Engine has a lot more power, still has excellent throttle response and looks completely stock.

Found the 2B Autolite carb on Ebay. I think his name is "findafish" or something like that. He can set it up any way you want.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Had the edelbrock/carter with the off road kit. Ran great & reliable on flat ground but sucked off road. tried a holley. The thing needed to be messed with constantly to keep it running right. Now I've been running q-jets on both broncos for probably 10 years. Just upgraded the 72 to a jet performance q-jet after it's boneyard one died. Got 9 yrs out of the boneyard q-jet it had