• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carter P4070 install

jdowns67

Contributor
Owner since 2001
Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Looking for the best place to install a Carter P4070 with 2 tanks. I know these pumps like to push not pull. Still have stock fuel selector switch. Also looking for idea on a pre filter before the pump. I like the idea of a spin on filter with housing. Pictures are great if you have them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year is your bronco?
What engine, transmission, and transfer case set up?
What gas tank set up? Stock, or aftermarket?
Single, or dual?
Are you looking for advice on pump location, electrical connections, or plumbing?

Or all of the above?

OP
OP
jdowns67

jdowns67

Contributor
Owner since 2001
Loc.
Wilmington, NC
What year is your bronco?
What engine, transmission, and transfer case set up?
What gas tank set up? Stock, or aftermarket?
Single, or dual?
Are you looking for advice on pump location, electrical connections, or plumbing?

Or all of the above?
It's a 71 with a 347. 3 speed manual. Stock tanks which are new. Electrically, I know what to do. Looking for a mounting location that works. I'm thinking it has to be after the selector switch. Worried that the pump won't pull that far and through the selector switch.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This particular pump has always been a good strong pump in the past. Hopefully the modern versions still are.
Still not made for a pulling as well as pushing through, but better than some.

Do you have a fair amount of room on the driver side frame rail? You don’t have dual exhaust running down there and cramping your space?

If you have the room, you could start by mounting it down behind the selector valve, then extend the hose from there to the pump, and then from the pump up to the engine compartment.
Yes, that’s adding more hose and effective distance, but it gives you more leeway, and wear them out the pump.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The P4070 pulls amazingly well. I have had them mounted behind the driver's headlight and next to the master cylinder. Neither had any issues. This included using it as a daily driver in Phoenix year round.

If your tanks are new, did you put new filter socks on the pickup tubes? If so you have enough pre-filter If an aftermarket tank with a welded in pickup tube and no sock, or you just installed the pickup without a sock, a prefilter is a good idea. No need to reinvent the wheel. The clear inline filter before the selector valve is perfect. Allows you to watch what is coming out of each tank. If a tank starts to have an issue you can see which one it is.

The really good, but simple carbed fuel setup with dual tanks...
Sock in tank OR inline filter right at the tank outlet.
Lines to the selector valve.
Selector valve to pump (mount pump where it fits, don't worry about it pulling)
Pump to GM EFI filter
Filter to carb.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We all talk about the need for it. But I don’t know how many actually do it.
Hopefully everybody…

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have one in my boat. Hard starts. The fuel bowl would be dry and it would take a lot of cranking to build enough oil pressure to close the switch and run the pump. Ended up adding a prime feature. Works for me, but will be one of the PO moments for the next person.

The reality is you already roached your motor before the oil pressure is low enough for long enough for the switch to save it. For crash, the inertia switch is better.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Back to the fuel pump hijack. Anybody swap from the manual tank selector to the electric solenoid with a dash switch? I was thinking of putting the solenoid near the rear of the aux tank and possibly adding a Carter pump in the same area

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did that on my 71. Even use the motorized style so I could get the return line ports.
Love it.
Gives you more options on where to mount the pump I would think.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use the original fuel gauge selector switch to switch the tanks now.

mrdrnac

Contributor
I've also used the Carter pump located on the frame rail in front of the selector switch for both tanks, and it has worked flawlessly for almost 40 years now. I do carry a spare but have never needed it!

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I use that pump on my Aux. tank, it is mounted on the frame. I have EFI and use my aux tank as a big gas can. It goes aux. tank, filter, pump, check valve (so gas can't back into the tank), and tees into the return line to the main tank. I have a safety switch on the dash so no accidental filling of the main tank. This has worked very well for me.

OP
OP
jdowns67

jdowns67

Contributor
Owner since 2001
Loc.
Wilmington, NC
So I got my pump installed, Had to put it on outside of frame rail near front tank... I have a metal inline fuel filter just before the pump and it sits on top of the frame rail above the front tank.. It's been working fine until today. Had a situation where it was running fine, then I sat in traffic for a few minutes, then I started getting fuel starvation like what happens with a clogged fuel filter. At one point it completely shut off and I pulled over real quick and popped the hood fast enough to see that there was zero fuel pressure at the regulator. You could hear the fuel pump running.... Then all of a suddden, you could hear the pump pick fuel back up again and my fuel pressure went up... Happened on both tanks so I know it's not specific to one tank or another.. After driving a few minutes on a back road, it completely cleared up and everything was fine again. Was able to romp on it and not starve for fuel. I am wondering if anyone has ever had a situation where the metal fuel filter picked up enough heat to boil the fuel and cause vapor lock. Seems like being in traffic revealed the issue where it had a chance to build heat.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Selector valve O-ring could be leaking in some air. At low volumes of flow (idle) the bubbles may not blow through the system fast enough and build up in the pump. Add in a little heat... But under load there is enough flow that a tiny air leak doesn't matter as it passes through. ...Maybe?

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Fuel filter on top of the frame might be another thing to consider. That's basically above the fuel level all the time. Maybe you can route the line under the frame rail and put the filter at the same level as the pump?

How much fuel was in the tanks? Full? Under half?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

AZ73

Bronco Guru
Back to the fuel pump hijack. Anybody swap from the manual tank selector to the electric solenoid with a dash switch? I was thinking of putting the solenoid near the rear of the aux tank and possibly adding a Carter pump in the same area
Yes. I run a Carter P4070 at the rear to pull from the main tank and push to a GM electric solenoid. The Aux tank is gravity fed to the solenoid. Because I run fuel injection I run a high pressure Bosch pump after the solenoid (with a 20u filter before the Carter and a 10u filter after the Bosch). Everything is controlled by an electronic switch on the dash which switches the solenoid and cuts power to the Carter when running Aux tank. I run 2 fuel level indicators but the solenoid pigtail will wire up to switch the level for a single fuel level gauge. The solenoid I use is a Pollak 6 port, but it's also sold as ACDelco universal U7000. These pictures were before I installed the aux tank, some of the return lines, or the dash. The dash has a switch noted as "Aux Fuel Tank". Default is Carter and Bosch running, solenoid to rear tank. When I hit the Aux tank switch, it shuts off the Carter and switches the solenoid. A relay runs the Carter and Solenoid. Because of the weird orientation of the solenoid mount, I had to fabricate a bracket to mount it to the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9918.JPG
    IMG_9918.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, that’s what I call flow through ventilation!
There’s so much flow, you can see the shop floor on the other side! :) 😉🙄

OP
OP
jdowns67

jdowns67

Contributor
Owner since 2001
Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Yes. I run a Carter P4070 at the rear to pull from the main tank and push to a GM electric solenoid. The Aux tank is gravity fed to the solenoid. Because I run fuel injection I run a high pressure Bosch pump after the solenoid (with a 20u filter before the Carter and a 10u filter after the Bosch). Everything is controlled by an electronic switch on the dash which switches the solenoid and cuts power to the Carter when running Aux tank. I run 2 fuel level indicators but the solenoid pigtail will wire up to switch the level for a single fuel level gauge. The solenoid I use is a Pollak 6 port, but it's also sold as ACDelco universal U7000. These pictures were before I installed the aux tank, some of the return lines, or the dash. The dash has a switch noted as "Aux Fuel Tank". Default is Carter and Bosch running, solenoid to rear tank. When I hit the Aux tank switch, it shuts off the Carter and switches the solenoid. A relay runs the Carter and Solenoid. Because of the weird orientation of the solenoid mount, I had to fabricate a bracket to mount it to the frame.
Wow! Impressive installation!