• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Caster update

MikeCon

Had alignment on my wandering 73 checked today. Turns out caster is +6. Must be something else.
Maybe I have just forgotten how an old truck handles.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If we were talking caster in another thread, you should add this info to that discussion as well. At least I think that would be a good thing to do.
Reason is that a +6 reading is HUGE! No normal EB front axle is going to achieve anything near that (even a '76 or '77) without cutting and turning, if it's lifted. Is your Bronco stock height? Did you add 7° C-bushings?

Wandering can be trackbar moving slightly, older tires, too-wide a wheel for the tire, tread wear, toe-in not adjusted to the correct amount, skewed front-to-rear axle alignment, etc. And yes, it can be just an old short-wheelbase utility vehicle's way of driving. It can also be quicker steering and smaller steering wheels, or slower steering and bigger steering wheels. Which one depends on what you're used to.

When does it wander, and how much?

paul

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Not aware of any changes from stock. My cousin had truck before me. Did have a drop Pittman which I returned to stock to eliminate bump steer. Was never lifted so not sure why it was there. Wanders on less than perfect road and squirrelly on sweeping turns. New 31's,stock 15" wheels. All being said handling is not too bad. 28psi in tires works the best.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 3.5 degree caster has proven quite adequate with a stock suspension. So some PO must have suffered from the typical EB urge to over do everything.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hows about a picture of your front suspension and steering linkage from side to side? Maybe we can see some thing else that's slightly out of whack.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The 3.5 degree caster has proven quite adequate with a stock suspension. So some PO must have suffered from the typical EB urge to over do everything.

The 3.5 degree caster has proven to be totally inadequate. It is a compromise alignment specification for manual steering that has no business on a power steering equipped 93 inch wheelbase vehicle.

Your PO did you a great service by setting the caster properly at 6 degrees Positive. Now you can go fix one of the other myriad of issues that cause wandering...

my $.02

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't forget to check things like the leaf spring bushings. The front can be rock solid but if the back is shifting around a little bit, it will feel like the front is all over the place. Short wheelbase just makes it worse.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
100% agree with jamesroney that 3.5deg is not nearly enough and that manual strg and polyester or nylon tires (any non-radial) required LESS caster than radial tires and power steering. So ignore the 3.5deg is adequate post and yes, if you have 6 deg you might have other issues like Paul and others have mentioned.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
We have no stats on your truck so we are guessing. first thing to do is reduce tire pressure to 30 lbs and take a test drive better or worse? then jack up each tire and put a pry bar under the tire and see if you can lift and lower it and see if its loose then grab it by hand and see if you can wiggle the tire up and down, in and out, or right and left. if anything is loose it must be fixed first be it wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends or king pins if you have a Dana 30 front end. if those tests prove fruitless then drive the truck fore ward and back and get someone to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth for you not to turn the wheels just bumping back and forth up to the point the tires would start to turn. while someone does the steering wheel bump to bump start at the steering column and work all the way to the steering box. at the frame look for looseness in parts and mountings and operational oddities like delay response to movement. look very closely for the steering not following the movement. now get under the truck with the wheels on the ground do the same thing at every point and connection. problematic areas are steering box mounting bolts and maybe fractured frame. the upper trac bar mount the bushings there and even the mounting bolt and their holes. the lower trac bar mount, bushing and maybe broken welds holding the mounting bolt from being stiff in place. now you have to check all the tie rod ends and steering arm. if you find any looseness or parts not properly following movement these need to be fixed.
if you have questions take a video from your phone and post them here.