• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Centech wiring harness

Spence

Loc.
Westminster, Co
Is everybody happy with their Centech wiring harness? I'm thinking about getting one and pulling out my old rat's nest. Thanks

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Every post I've heard raves about it over all others. I ordered mine and though I have not installed it yet, it is definitely a quality product. Just inspecting the water proof connectors and the way it is put together, you can justify the extra cash.<br><br>Good Luck.

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I think it was one of the best things I've done to my bronco. Good quality, great customer service and pretty easy installation. Good luck.<br><br>John

OP
OP
S

Spence

Loc.
Westminster, Co
Is it fairly easy to do, or will a backyard mechanic like myself going to have a hard time with it? (I've pulled engines before, but don't have a huge amount of experience with electrical systems.)

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
[quote author=Recently DeJEEPed link=board=5;threadid=13662;start=0#102774 date=1043518077]<br>Is it fairly easy to do, or will a backyard mechanic like myself going to have a hard time with it? (I've pulled engines before, but don't have a huge amount of experience with electrical systems.)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Like I said the customer service is so great that you really don't have to worry, but plan on it taking 20-30 hours and you do need to solder many connections. That is what took me the longest. I would recommend taking the centech kit(when you get it) and laying it out on the floor and looking over it while reading the instructions, until you are familiar with everything. Then remove the old harness, but don't throw it away until you are sure the new harness is in and working correctly. Time is your greatest friend on this on, don't think it is going together in a weekend. Good luck and ask any question here or at Centech. <br><br>John

ballistic64

Loc.
Piedmont , SD
On this subject, you can type in Centech in the links box and get a copy of the Centech installation manual.<br>What I'm wondering is if anybody has taken pictures of the actual harness installation and routing of the harness during thier installation. I have the new Centech harness, but my Bronc project already had a lot of the harness tore out or missing. Anyone with pics?

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Doing right now. Yeah the 20-30 hour might be right but I have been working on my for about 2 wks. I isn't hard, I just don't have much time :-U. It is really well laid out. I am enjoying the experience. The only problem I have had so far is with the plugs. When you remove your old harness SAVE THE LITTLE RUBBER PLUGS IN THE FIRE WALL. The ones Centech provide don't stay. So you cut them off and replace with your old ones then seal with silicone.

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
Gotta concur on all this; I've just finished installing my Centech and Lo and Behold, everything works!
If all aftermarket products were this well made, the world would be a much better place. But I have two gripes:
1) The instructions leave something to be desired. I had to call them twice to get help which was quickly and expertly provided. Well written instructions, however, would have made even that little effort unnecessary.
2)The wiring is just different enough that they should provide a new basic schematic, which they don't. The explanation I got was that Painless would steal the design if they got hold of the schematics. I don't quite buy that; painless builds generic harnesses and I doubt they would be interested in building something as well made and vehicle specific as the Centech.

Two pointers:
Make careful note of how the old harness routs under the vehicle as you remove it, especially the left side rear by the tank filler hose and shock mount.

Some of the wiring on the harness is redundant, for older/newer vehicle designs. If you cut these and wrap them, make absolutely sure you know what you are cutting. Don't cut the brake light switch wires, and don't cut the blue right turn signal wires where they tap a common connector. Much frustration will result if you do.

Oh, one more thing: I recommend you pull the dash. It will be a major PITA (mmmm, pita) but will save you quite a bit of time in the end, not to mention a twisted spine.

Ed

Oh yeah, one more one more thing: buy lots of shrink tubing, zip ties, and cable clamps. And get a bulk pack of electrical tape. You won't use all the tape, but you will constantly misplace rolls and get angry hunting them. After you've opened about six, one seems to always turn up when you need it. Having about 5 colors of 14 gage wire can be handy too, if you have Duraspark.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
While we are talking about eltrical tape. I found and bought this can of Paintable Electric tape. It can in a can with a brush. You just paint it on. I am not sure how is stands up to the elements, but I am pleased at how it has speeded up my install.

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
this is not hard to do if you can read their instructions no problem. it took me about 28 hours to do mine I had to splice in the FMS harness also. lay it out and get to know it and how the routing is in your rig.<br> I have to agree with pulling the dash out.....might have helped my install<br>

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Great product. You won't be sorry with the purchase. Like others have said keep your old harness. You will most likely reuse the ignition switch as the new one doesn't cover the hole so you would have to fab something. <br><br>Don't cut your heater wiring, you will need it.<br><br>Don't cut the purple "START" wire until you read about the neutral safety switch and then you will understand why that wire is extra long.<br><br>The last gotcha that I can think of is the black and the grey weather pack connectors. Don't put them on the side marker lights (front and rear) until you install the factory grommet in the hole. The reason for this is the weather pack connectors are slightly larger than the hole, therefore you cannot get it installed. And since you will not have the terminal removal tool it will be difficult to remove the connector. You will understand when you get to that part.<br><br>Just take you time and read all of the instructions.

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
[quote author=rflud link=board=5;threadid=13662;start=0#102842 date=1043538342]<br>You will most likely reuse the ignition switch as the new one doesn't cover the hole so you would have to fab something. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Best bet there is just get your harness from Chuck. It comes with the switch adaptor so you use your original switch.<br><br>rflud, did you use your old firewall plugs?<br><br>Oh Yeah! OOOONNe more thing! (my kid loves the Jackie Chan cartoon) beg borrow or steal a really good soldering gun--one of the 220 watt pistol types. And if you're going to solder your wire splices (you really should) a pencil butane torch will be wicked handy. I'm sure Radio Shack sells them with extra gas bottles. And shrink wrap everything, wire splices, ring connectors, plug connectors--everything you can get the stuff on.<br><br>Ed<br>

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
edjolly - I too got the adapter to use my old ignition. I was just saying that if you don't use that adapter and old ignition then you will have to fab something to make the new ignition work.<br><br>Yep, I reused my old firewall plugs.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Is there anything wrong with this idea? I plan to splice a wire into the cigar lighter wire, and splice a wire into the bround that is under the dash. The run them through the firewall along the frame with the other wires, and have them come up inside the bed, so the way I can have a 12v plug in the "bed". What shoud I keep in mind while doing this? I am gonna wrap the wires in the same type of plastic tubing the kit comes in. Any other hints?

ZOSO

There ar3e a few things that held me back with this Kit. After all was said and done I hade no headlights and the gauges are live all the time. Also there is a plug on their ignition switch that the lights plug into that makes so the parking lights are on with the key. I made a jumper wire for that and to fix the lights/gauges problem you just switch the two red wires at the fuse panel.<br><br>Autokrafters has a bezel for their ignition switch and it even looks like the orig.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Hey TexasBronco - That's not a bad idea. I would however, suggest that you just ground it back in the bed rather than splice into the ground near the plug in the dash. <br><br>As far as making the splice goes I kinda like the bullet connectors. They make a good connection and you can unplug them if you don't want to use it anymore.

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
One thing I forgot was instead of me soldering and shink tubing I used the weather proof connectors that not only has soldering but shrinks also to give you a weather proof connection. just take your tiem and you will be happy in the end.

hucklburry

I bought the Ron Francis wiring harness. I have not installed it yet (sometime this year when it all goes back together), but it is sweet. I don't know how the price compares to centech, but the RF is really nice. You can talk to Randy Wood at www.adventerous4x4.com about it, he's a dealer, excellent service.<br><br>http://www.ronfrancis.com/<br><br>--Jim