• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

change the motor to a 351 with efi ?

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
Ok boys and girls I have got the floor pans replaced the body lift done and the sup lift in ……..so now I would like to change the motor to a 351 with efi and serpentine so the Q how much am I looking at spending from those of you that have been down this road and what do you think I should look at …..A donor truck?......or pick and pull…… is there anything I could get that would have the motor power steering and the booster from? A year of truck or car that I should keep my eye out for?

as allways thanks for any input

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
There's nothing "plug-n-play" out of a yard for 351w with EFI. Other than a few Mustangs, which you'll never find anyway, and 93-95 Lightning PU's (pretty rare too). The 5.8's with EFI came with intakes that are way too tall (Saddleup withstanding) for EB's and run Speed Density computers that are unforgiving to changes. So, find a decent 351W/5.8l 1969-1996 (94-96 roller motors preferred) and buy an Edelbrock EFI manifold, 65mm throttle body, 80mm Lightning MAF, harness, injectors (19 or 24lbs), fuel rail, computer, HP pump and various sensors. Some of that stuff you can get in a yard, but other than fuel rails I'd buy new sensors and injectors and a RJM pre-made harness. There isn't an unmodified ECU that will correctly run a 5.8L. The Mustang (5.0) ECU's work, but the fuel tables will be off for 5.8L, so you'll need a TWEECER or custom tune. Everyone that I've talked to that is running an EFI 351w with a Mustang computer is either contemplating a TWEECER or custom ECU tune. I estimated in an earlier thread that $2000-2500 would be about the cost to convert a 351w to EFI and do it right.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but go in with both eyes open, especially if you have limited budget or limited time. I still think a complete 5.0 H.O swap from a Mustang or Explorer might give you the most bang for your buck and be the simplest road to go down.

For serpentine, most everyone is using Explorer or Mustang stuff, but I used an alternator bracket minus the smog pump from a early 90's F series and a PS/AC bracket from a 88-96 Van. The jury is still out for me on whether serpentine was worth the trouble.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I have been down this exact road, just took a few detours along the way (302 carb to 351W carb to 351W EFI).

Like stated above there is no set plug and play. The route I went was:

- FMS 351W crate motor
- Collected parts for a mustang EFI (351W GT-40 lower intake to Cobra upper intake) - rest is 89-93 mustang parts
- 89-93 Mustang serp setup.

Cost will be dependant on what you want. Go used and get a F150 351W roller motor and put the mustang EFI on it (BC Broncos has an intake adapter now) and get the serp setup at the junkyard or use the F150 stuff.

Some links to my threads of mods:

351W EFI info:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89700
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90023

351W Serp setup

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80131

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
Thanks guys I know you all have done this before. I just want to learn from you all to what steps to take. I fig it will take me a little over three months to get the money so I want to get my ducks in a row and see what you have done and the after thoughts you all have as to what you would have done diff and so on. I can only do this one time so I want it to be as pain free as can be.

Not to ask a dumb Q but I am new to the EFI stuff not that I cant get it but is there not trucks out there with 351 with EFI or is that the prob,s you all are talking about?

Just so we are on the same page here is my plan

Get a used motor (was hoping with EFI but by what you all are saying not going to happen)

Run that for a year or so and rebuild later just want the EFI in and working

I would like the bigger alt that comes with the newer trucks

So you all think that is with in the 2500.

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
So if i just put headers and an rv cam i would be fine i could even live with out the cam if it would cause probs

i have a two inch body lift would i still need to change the upper intake?

ok i was replying to some one and now there post is just gone?

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Not to ask a dumb Q but I am new to the EFI stuff not that I cant get it but is there not trucks out there with 351 with EFI or is that the prob,s you all are talking about?

Ford Trucks/Broncos come with a EFI 351W. The issue that most are referring to is that the upper intake manifold on the truck EFI is very tall, the throttle body is in the front and even with a 3" body lift, it will not fit under a stock hood. That is why most go with the mustang EFI setup. Look up Saddleup on the thread search and you can see his setup with the truck EFI intakes.

Also check into BC Broncos 351W EFI adapter. i believe you can use the truck EFI lower intake and use their adapter to mate up a Mustang EFI upper intake. If it works, then you can look for a used EFI truck engine and just swap out the upper intake, throttle body, and MAF with the Mustang (all over junkyards).

Wiring and computers are another area you need to address. If swapping to MAF from the Mustang, you will need a MAF (Mass Air vs Speed Density) computer from a mustang. RJM makes an awesome wiring harness and the website is full of great info. I suck at wiring and it was pulg and play for me.

www.fordfuelinjection.com

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
well guys looks like i mite have a 91 mustang 5.0 he wants the motor none of the EFI stuff what all can i take off of this thing at least the uper intake right? FREE FREE FREE

i just have to help take the motor out and five speed

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
that is a sweet site thanks 70EB:p

what about the booster for the brakes ?

as i cant take this home with me i will have a short time to get the stuff out that i need from it

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Bronco Tech to the left and also in the FAQ section may be able to help you with the booster question. I am unfamiliar with the Mustang boosters other than the really late ones may have hydroboost.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
The least expensive method of swapping a 351W in is to keep it stock, including the intake. Run the stock wiring and EEC, etc... and you're only into it for the price of the engine.

If you want to get the intake under the hood, then using Chuck's adapter spacer will work, but you'll also have to swap the fuel rails to the 'Stang style to make it fit. You can use the truck fuel rails, but it would also require at least a 1/2" spacer (phenolic?) so the FPR will clear under the upper intake. I just did one of these last month for a customer. The jury is still out on how that adapter will effect performance. I'm still partial to the 5.8 GT-40 lower, 1" phenolic spacer and Explorer upper intake. Use the '96/7 Explorer intake if you want to use the Mustang style EGR.

You can add the upgraded wiring and Mustang computer as time and finances allow.

Several years ago I did the 351W engine swap over a Labor Day weekend, then added a GT-40 intake setup (with the Mustang fuel rails) the following Summer and went MAF SEFI 6 months or so after that. The MAF 351W was really nice, but even the basic batch-fire EFI 351W was way better than the carb'd 302 it replaced.

Ryan's harness isn't the only one out there, it's just easier if you don't want to have to modify any wiring. You can still buy the new wiring harness from Summit for about $225. With that you'll still need the engine harness and HEGO harness. Ford Racing also makes a replacement EFI harness similar to Ryan's; however, all the sensors are designed to work (TAB, TAD, EGR, etc...). Ryan wires resistors into his harness, bypassing them.
Joe