• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

charcoal cannister

NM Bronco

I am about to fire up my bronco and i need some final detail information. I have hooked up my cannister correctly except for 1 detail. I know that it hooked to the original air cleaner to pull air to draw off the fumes. I know have a 351W with low profile open element air filter. How can i " create draw " to the cannister with this system?? I could put a port in a the cleaner on the carb side of the filter but i wouldn't i be drawing dirty air to the engine?? It draws thru the little plastic piece that is in the engine compartment... maybe put a small filter on that end of the hose???
Sorry for the long post..

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I didn't bother connecting my canister to my air cleaner. Seems fine, haven't had any problems.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I am about to fire up my bronco and i need some final detail information. I have hooked up my cannister correctly except for 1 detail. I know that it hooked to the original air cleaner to pull air to draw off the fumes. I know have a 351W with low profile open element air filter. How can i " create draw " to the cannister with this system?? I could put a port in a the cleaner on the carb side of the filter but i wouldn't i be drawing dirty air to the engine?? It draws thru the little plastic piece that is in the engine compartment... maybe put a small filter on that end of the hose???
Sorry for the long post..

Put a filter on the inlet tube (the other big tube) to the canister and plumb it like you described.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can also use one of these fittings to plumb the tube up to, but not behind, your filter element.

http://www.knfilters.com/filteraccess.htm

About half-way down the page, called "marine style vent hose adapters".
Assuming you have a traditional upper and lower cover, with the filter sandwiched in-between, these would slip on, just outside the filter and be held in place by the lip of each plate.

Of course, an open element filter is not the best for keeping fumes out of the air, so doing it like you and Viperwolf were saying would keep more of the fumes inside the housing.

I wonder though, why a filter is even needed? Charcoal grains getting sucked in? Didn't later model carb-equipped vehicles have the hose straight from the canister to the carb bowl? And don't EFI vehicles have the it run to the plenum? Or are the new vehicles plumbed ahead of the filter?

Paul

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

where can you get a replacment charcoal cannister? Can you buy them? I'm not lazy but our junk yards don't have much to offer. If it is only from junk yard,,, what vehicle is best( year/model).. and where are they usually located on the vehicle? thanks for your help as always.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Damn dude, you get the thread resurrection award! ;) I know what you mean about the charcoal canister. Mine looked like death when I removed it.

There has got to be some kind of aftermarket charcoal conister or one from a donor that is available.
Good luck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The canisters of the same vintage can be had from all sorts of Fords. I got my replacement pancake style from a Pinto!

Depending on what year yours is, you either have the round pan mounted to the passenger side frame rail near the front fender. If you want to get rid of your inside condensing tank, or just have a hard time finding the old style, you could replace yours with a more modern (late seventies and up) plastic tank that you can mount up higher on the firewall. Like the '76/'77 models had.
With it up high like that, and with a simple anti-rollover valve in the line, you should be able to eliminate the plastic tank and extra lines behind the driver's seat.

Paul

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

thanks Wanted and DirtDonk. My bronco STINKS so bad it makes my wife not like to get into it in garage.. I will go to NAPA today.. this site is always the best source...brad

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

Hey broncowanted.. did the NAPA part fix the smell? i have all my vent lines correct but gas smell terrible.. THANKS for your help..

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Hey broncowanted.. did the NAPA part fix the smell? i have all my vent lines correct but gas smell terrible.. THANKS for your help..

I haven't had the bronco in a really confined space (still in the big shop) as of yet but it seems to be working well as of now. I copied the setup from the BB. Line from tank to canister with fuel filter reversed in line as a anti-roll valve. Line from canister to breather etc. So I hope it will work fine. If not I may add a purge valve to the line to the breather. Hope this helps.