• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Check my fan - right direction or not

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Dumb question of the week. I have the Mustang serp on my 351W and the BCB fan for the reverse rotation serp water pump. Just to check whether I made an idiot mistake......is my fan on the right way or backwards? can anyone post up a pic of there fan on a mustang serp setup to compare. I have a funny feeling I have it on backwards:-[

Thanks

Also might explain why this fan is SO LOUD. Sounds like a jet engine.

Attachments

• DSCN0813.JPG
    DSCN0813.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0815.JPG
    DSCN0815.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 36

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One way to tell is to run the engine and feel which way the air is going. If you feel air being pulled through the radiator from the grille, then it's right.
If you can feel air coming out, or something otherwise out of the ordinary, it's not.
In other words, I can't remember which way a stock one spins!
Although, if you crank the engine and yours spins clockwise (as viewed from the front) then yours is backwards.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
From what I see it looks right. Fan is reverse rotation. On the serpentine belt/pulleys one easy way to check rotation direction is to look at the pulley surface where it meets the belt. Smooth pulleys are typically reverse rotation and run against the smooth side of the belt. Ribbed pulleys are standard rotation.

The jet engine sound is a good sign.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
One way to tell is to run the engine and feel which way the air is going. If you feel air being pulled through the radiator from the grille, then it's right.
If you can feel air coming out, or something otherwise out of the ordinary, it's not.
In other words, I can't remember which way a stock one spins!
Although, if you crank the engine and yours spins clockwise (as viewed from the front) then yours is backwards.

Paul

It will suck a piece of paper up against the radiator from the front so I think it is pulling air through.

Temp stays at 190* or below (on sotck Bronco guage) but everything under the hood gets too hot to touch (intake, etc). Hood even gets very hot.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Even though it appears to be pulling air through, it still looks backwards to the fan posted on BCB's website.

Attachments

• fixed%20fan%20installed%20web.jpg
    fixed%20fan%20installed%20web.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 25

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Even though it appears to be pulling air through, it still looks backwards to the fan posted on BCB's website.

That setup is wrong. Standard rotation fan on reverse rotation serpentine.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Just spoke with Chuck (thanks Chuck) and it seems that I have the correct fan for my application. The pic on his website is actually a standard rotation fan. So I can check that off the list.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Its a good thing you asked....take it from me - I made this mistake and it took me months to figure out why I was overheating, until ViperWolf helped me out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
direct mount fans typically are very loud.
the rotation (in the first post) is correct.
the direction may be correct.

difference between rotation and direction:
rotation is which way the fan spins. Easy enough
direction is if the front of the fan is facing the front or the back. Get it backwards and (depending on the design of the fan) the fans abality to move air goes away.