• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Checking for spark

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Stock '73 Bronco. Hasn't been started in nearly a decade.

Today I rebuilt the carb, gapped the points, put in a new battery, and hooked the fuel pump up to a gas can.

Engine turns over fine, and there is a steady squirt of fuel into the bowl when I operate the throttle by hand. The Bronco doesn't even try to start.

Removing the coil wire from the distributor and holding to any metal surface in the engine bay while cranking the engine produces no spark whatsoever. Not with the coil that's been in there for years, or with the known good coil out of my '67.

Not surprisingly, pulling the #1 spark plug and grounding it to bare metal in the engine bay with the spark plug wire reconnected and cranking the engine produces no spark either.

Since neither the old coil from the '73 or the known good coil from the '67 produce any spark, there's something not powering the coil it would seem.

Where do I start with this?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Negative from coil goes to distributor, positive to ignition. Big center wire to center of distributor. With ignition in run, do you see voltage on the positive coil wire? IOW, you may not have power from ignition switch to coil through the start relay.

Other test is to ensure coil has proper ohms readings, you can google those.

If you gapped points you also want to check dwell but honestly I don't think I ever saw it out of tolerance if gap was correct.

Lastly make sure you have good distributor cap and wires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What 73 said Justin. They are mostly basic tests, so in no particular order:
1. Pull the distributor cap off and verify that the rotor is turning consistently with the cranking of the engine.
2. Turn the key on and verify you have at least 6 V at the positive side of the coil. Preferably between 9 and 12. You may see 12 when you first turn the key on and it could slowly go down as you're messing with things. That's often the nature of a resistor wire.
3. Check for voltage consistency on the positive coil wire while the starter is cranking.
4. For testing temporarily disconnect the brown wire from the “I” terminal of the starter relay to rule out a defective relay.
5. With the negative coil wire temporarily disconnected, turn the key on and momentarily ground the negative terminal. As in your previous tests for spark with the main HT lead of the coil up against some metal, you should see a big fat spark every time you ground and un-ground the negative terminal.

If that last test nets you a spark then you probably have a bad set of points or a bad condenser. I don't know that condensers can fail from old age, but maybe it's possible.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, with the key on,did you check for voltage to the coil with a test light?
You can hot wire the coil with a wire from the positive battery post to the + side of the coil, eliminating the key switch.
Good luck

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
1. Pull the distributor cap off and verify that the rotor is turning consistently with the cranking of the engine.

Distributor/rotor rotates when the engine's being cranked.

2. Turn the key on and verify you have at least 6 V at the positive side of the coil. Preferably between 9 and 12. You may see 12 when you first turn the key on and it could slowly go down as you're messing with things. That's often the nature of a resistor wire.

At the positive wire or the positive terminal on the coil? The positive terminal on the coil has practically no voltage to measure which makes sense since it's not connected to anything. However, the positive wire has 11.46 volts when the key is in the on position. Drops to 8.6 when cranking.

3. Check for voltage consistency on the positive coil wire while the starter is cranking.

See above for wire voltages.

4. For testing temporarily disconnect the brown wire from the “I” terminal of the starter relay to rule out a defective relay.

Not sure what difference this would make for generating spark

5. With the negative coil wire temporarily disconnected, turn the key on and momentarily ground the negative terminal. As in your previous tests for spark with the main HT lead of the coil up against some metal, you should see a big fat spark every time you ground and un-ground the negative terminal.

This does absolutely nothing, even in my '67 that runs and drives perfectly. Negative side from the distributor disconnected, jumper wire from the negative coil terminal to the negative battery post. Positive wire hooked to the coil, key in the on position, no spark generated by the coil wire when grounded. Doesn't generate spark on the '73 I'm trying to get started, doesn't generate spark on the perfectly working '67.

Unless I'm somehow doing this wrong.

What 73 said Justin. They are mostly basic tests

A little more information, I took the coil out of the '73 and swapped it into the '67. '67 starts and runs fine and I can get the spark by having the key on, the + and – terminals of the coil connected to the wiring harness and distributor, and grounding the coil wire to the smog pump case. The coil checks out fine on the '67.

'73 seems to generate no spark whatsoever no matter what I've tried.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You can hot wire the coil with a wire from the positive battery post to the + side of the coil, eliminating the key switch.

This also does absolutely nothing. In either the '73 I'm working on or my perfectly running '67. + wire disconnected from the coil. Jumper wire from the + battery post to the + terminal on the coil. Coil wire disconnected from the distributor and held up to the smog pump case. No spark generated whatsoever.

Again, unless I'm somehow doing this wrong as well.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, besides trying a new high quality points and condenser set, there is a small ground strap in the distributor for one of the small point screws. It has to be something that is just being a bit of trouble. I went through a run of defective Mallory condensers many years ago. Did you try the other coil in the 67? Anyway I doubt it is the coil. Good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Test light
Key on
+ side of coil should power up the test light.
- side of coil may or may not power up the test light.
Cap off
Bump engine over until the points are closed.
- side of coil should NOT power up the test light.

If test light is powered up with points closed, and the points are 10 years old. File/sand/replace the points. There is enough corrosion on the points that while they are touching they are not conducting. I keep a piece of 600 grit sandpaper in my boat for no starts after it has sat for a year or so. Fold it grit side out, open points by hand (small screwdriver), insert paper, let points close, pull out once.

If the points are actually working correctly the next age related failure is typically the condenser. I have also had one of these that shorted to ground. The test light acted as if the points were always closed even when open. Never power on the negative side of the coil.

And another stupid thing to check, does the distributor actually spin with the engine? It may have been parked 10 years ago because the timing chain broke.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Hi, besides trying a new high quality points and condenser set, there is a small ground strap in the distributor for one of the small point screws. It has to be something that is just being a bit of trouble. I went through a run of defective Mallory condensers many years ago. Did you try the other coil in the 67? Anyway I doubt it is the coil. Good luck

You might be on to something here. The coil in the '73 that won't start, works fine in the '67 and starts right up, so it's not the coil.

The little ground strap inside the distributor isn't in the best shape. That could be causing the issue. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll report back.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
send power to the coil with a jumper (hotwire it) and it should start.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At the positive wire or the positive terminal on the coil?

Either one as long as the wire is present.

The positive terminal on the coil has practically no voltage to measure which makes sense since it's not connected to anything.

Correct. Not connected means no voltage at all.

However, the positive wire has 11.46 volts when the key is in the on position. Drops to 8.6 when cranking.

Sounds good.

Not sure what difference this would make for generating spark

Could make all the difference in the world either while cranking (bad relay) or while ON (bad wire) because the Brown wire as you know is directly connected to the Red w/green wire on the coil's positive side.

The purpose here is just like removing a tachometer wire (you don't have a tach, do you?) when testing a no-spark condition. Just to eliminate anything related as a possible culprit. So disconnect the Brown wire for now even if it doesn't make sense.

This does absolutely nothing, even in my '67 that runs and drives perfectly. Negative side from the distributor disconnected, jumper wire from the negative coil terminal to the negative battery post. Positive wire hooked to the coil, key in the on position, no spark generated by the coil wire when grounded.
Unless I'm somehow doing this wrong.

You might be.
It does not generate a spark when grounded. It generates the spark when you remove the ground. But first it must be grounded for you to remove, or "un-ground" the terminal. This is precisely what the points do in a working engine. Each time the points separate the coil generates a spark.
You can get the real theory behind this from the others. I only know the real-world situations and not the theory behind the magnetic fields and such.
But it should have worked on the known-good coil, so you need to watch it while you un-ground it.

And don't leave both the positive and negative connected to the coil for very long. While I've never had an issue with it, this is what some report as having overheated the coils pretty quickly. I've run my factory and a Ford Racing coil like that when I was having power issues and both are still working to this day. But we can't ignore others that say they overheated a coil. No way to know how long they were left connected to the battery.
Same thing as leaving the key on for a half hour while working on other things. Not supposed to do that.

A little more information, I took the coil out of the '73 and swapped it into the '67. '67 starts and runs fine and I can get the spark by having the key on, the + and – terminals of the coil connected to the wiring harness and distributor, and grounding the coil wire to the smog pump case. The coil checks out fine on the '67.

Great info! This means that something is wrong with your wiring or your distributor. As has been discussed.
If it works on one vehicle then it's not the coil. The previous test was just to see if the coil works, but you did it by swapping it into the running vehicle. Same result, different test method.

'73 seems to generate no spark whatsoever no matter what I've tried.

Keep checking the distributor.
If you do a variation on that previous test by prying open the points with the key ON you should get a spark both at the coil and probably a small one at the points each time you pry them open.
Obviously you need to either make sure the points are closed when you start the test, or fiddle with things enough with a metal tipped screw-driver or whatever so that the points are grounded between each other, and then not grounded. Each time they are grounded then not grounded, you should get a spark.

If not, then either the Black wire to the negative side of the coil is bad, or the condenser is bad. Could still be other things, but those are the most likely at the moment.

But in the meantime, are there ANY other wires on the coil?

Paul

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Keep checking the distributor.

But in the meantime, are there ANY other wires on the coil?

The more replies I read, the more I'm thinking it's the points and condenser setup - or the ground strap B RON CO mentioned.

This is a bone stock '73 that I bought from the second owner. No other wires on the coil. The wiring harness still has the 90 degree push on connectors to both terminals on the coil.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, bone stock 73, it's a duraspark then? I've had more than a few bad ignition modules on durasparks, someone will be along to tell you what to do.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A '73 should be points. Dura Spark did not appear on Broncos until '74 if I remember, and even then probably only on CA and a few other states. I think '75 was the first year it was on all Broncos, and not until something like '77 that it was on all full-size trucks. I was surprised at that bit since I thought for years that it was pretty universal across the Ford lineup. Seems they were still using the GVWR ratings to hold back not only on smog certification stuff, but solid state ignitions as part of that.
A couple of members are more expert at that timeline than I however, so they can hopefully chime in on that.
But I'm still pretty sure that in general no '73 Broncos had solid-state.

And besides, Justin said he gapped the points in the first post. Like milking the proverbial bull, setting the points gap on a Dura Spark would have been a study in futility!;D
Not that a determined cowpoke couldn't get 'er done however...

Paul

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, next I would get the points on the high spot on the cam and check the gap again. What did you set the gap to anyway? Good luck

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Hi, next I would get the points on the high spot on the cam and check the gap again. What did you set the gap to anyway? Good luck

Gapped to .017 on the high lobe of the distributor cam.

With working all week, I won't be able to mess with this any further until the weekend.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have bad rotor and also bad condensers cause me fits of issues before. you have had Broncos for a long time you probably have boxes of old take off parts that were working when removed.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Well you guys were right as usual. It was either the points of the condenser. I removed both and installed the Pertronix module from a running Bronco and the '73 fired right up.

Runs as poorly as it did 10 years ago the last time I had it started, but those questions will be in another thread.