• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cherokee wiper arm question

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Hi guys,
I just picked up a set of 1986 Cherokee rear wiper arms and realized that they don't stand up away from the windshield for cleaning (you can't pull them forward off of the windshield and let them stand on their own for cleaning the glass). I thought I had heard this was one of the advantages of switching to Cherokee arms. Is that not true, or do I have the wrong brand or year wipers? Just thought I should check before I cut this set up. Thanks!

edit- more info: I got these at the local Advance auto parts and the brand is "mighty clear"

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No they don't stand up but they sure stick to the glass a lot better than replacement bronco arms. You might be able to modify them to make it work.

OP
OP
Rockrawl

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Its not that important to me but if it was as easy as exchanging for a different year wipers I would probably do it.
Thanks for the help

OP
OP
Rockrawl

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
My new wiper arms are shortened now. Just waiting for daytime and dry weather to rattle can them black and then on the bronco they go. Soon to come, a horn and a parking brake so I can pass a TX inspection (hopefully!).

I just wanted to say again what a great resource this forum is. Thanks!

OP
OP
Rockrawl

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
With the stock electric system the blade locations (holes) in the windshield frame are such that the wiper blades overlap. With non-synchro motors the blades will hit unless you shorten them quite a bit. Most people want longer blades, not shorter.

Oh no! I just read this on a previous thread and I hope my setup (WH non-sync motors and cherokee arms shortened 3.5" with 12" blades) works out okay. Anybody know what's going to happen when I put them on in a couple of days? If they are going to hit, is there anyway to limit the travel on the motors so that the wiper path's do not overlap?

Last edited:

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
You're good to go since you shortened the arms. No worries. Enjoy the clearer view!

J.D.