• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

China Fuel PUMPS, ARGGH JUNK

mrtnfischer43

I have gone through 3 pumps, now getting 3rd from new vendor, NAPA has been selling the ones with the two legs and I keep getting stuck on the road, last about 2 3 weeks than die, Tried cheap electric pumps, same.
question is can I hook a electric pump in line and flip a switch when the block pump fails// my concern is do I put the electric in line and will it pup through the bad or failed mechanical pump, or should I put a by pass in the fuel line. has any had this pump problem?? I also have a CHA carb but that is working ok so far.
thanks

302 block rebuilt engine runs great when it has gas.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Until we quit buying crap we will continue to only have crap to buy! Sad but true.

I don't think anybody can positively state that you can pump thru your dead mechanical pump. If the diaphram fails on it then your electric pump would pump fuel right thru your failed mechanical pump directly into the block. I'd use a bypass around the mech pump.

But before that I'd search for a different, reliable pump. Somebody's got to make a reliable pump... used to be able to buy a replacement OE fuel pump and it would last 100K miles.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Carter P4070 electric pump has served me well for many years.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
YES mrtn/43 .
Sorry but you've got a hard one to type out.
But if you have a 302 .. Not all pumps are going to be bad . Or this sight & many more would be already screaming about bad pumps.
SO I'll say go to another brand .. Or really go to the wrecking yard & Pull a couple from good looking cars or truck in the yard & give them a try.
... If the diaphragm goes bad or out .. I don't think there is any way to plumb around it to keep fuel from entering your oil pan.
... Good Luck.
& I do like that EP4070 ELEC PUMP . BUT I've had a bad one of those on my diesel .

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Couple on/off & 2 Y valves in line to bypass the mechanical pump (simple but too many connections) if you want to bypass it. Simple, but you need to find a better pump brand. Napa has different quality lines of products like most auto stores do. Ask for their BEST brand, never the least expensive.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Carter P4070 electric pump has served me well for many years.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

This, I had one on a 65 econoline, sounded like an electric shaver, ran for 20 years when i sold it, unfortunately.

Mark1911

I know it is a different monster, I built a 1965 El Camino last year and just has a really nice small block, customer wanted to keep it completely stock. Anyways purchased a fuel pump from GM (China made) of course and it failed within the first 3 min of engine run time. OMG!
I found a NOS pump on E-bay, paid quite a bit for it but still works perfectly.
Overseas parts are absolute crap! I feel your pain.
Mark.

Lawndart

Loc.
I have had similar experience. Seems mine last 8k-10k miles. So that means about once a year, I am changing the fuel pump. Last week was the latest. I talked to NAPA about it and they had a Delphi pump that I did not see online. They said it was a better pump... We'll see.
Next time, I am going with the Edelbrock 1725. Heck, I may just order one now.

You will want a bypass line with valves as a failure mode of the mech pump could have you pumping fuel into the crankcase. But that would be more potential leak points...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The problem with previous experiences that are more than a few years old, they may no longer be valid. Too many changes and cheap off-shore sourcing going on. For many decades of course, but now the quantity has increased and the quality decreased.
You almost can't trust anything anymore!

An unrelated aside, another online car community has been suffering the ills of imported fuel pumps for a long time now. It's a simple mechanical pump with a vertical drive, rather than the side drive of most V8's like ours.
The manufacturers either ignored, purposely eliminated, or just didn't care about some details. To the point that in some cases they did not even bother to machine the small recess that accepts the retaining bolt! Or when they could be bothered, it was the wrong shape or at the wrong height for proper installation. And if it could be installed, they wobbled around and came loose in short order.
Then of course there were those where the pushrods were too long and after the first few minutes of run time the diaphragms were literally being torn apart.
Then the pushrods were too short, so that even though they were pumping, the volume was not enough to keep the engines happy at speed.
Then the top cover bolts were too short and not tightened sufficiently.
Then the little poppet valves that lets the pump free-float in one direction and pump in the other were not staked in place, so they would pop out of their pockets within a few minutes of running.
The mating surfaces between the body, center section and cover were not machined flat. Can you say, "fuel leak" and quality control and testing with a straight face?
The working pumps that owners tested had fuel pressure readings from about 3psi up to 14psi!
Then you had poor quality materials, so that if you were lucky enough to have your pump work, the modern fuels ate through the diaphragms in a few weeks.
And the electric replacement pumps are only slightly more reliable...

I know none of that effects us with Broncos, but it just shows that getting bad parts is not an isolated incident. It's the norm!
I guess the good news is that this problem has created a new cottage industry in taking brand new pumps, taking them apart and making all the needed corrections, adding a feature that lets you adjust the pressure output right on the pump, and is keeping someone (that actually cares about the outcome) employed.
Maybe we'll be doing the same thing for Broncos soon.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I had a problem with Carter fuel pumps when they moved production to China. the diaphragms were fine but the o-rings in the check valves were swelling and not properly sealing so the pump wouldn't pump. I since moved to Airtex pumps and have no problems the crappy gas here in California creates early demise. Autozone carries the airtex pumps.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
I ordered the 23 gallon Tank from TBP that comes with the Walbro pump. It was very loud out of the box and I didn't like driving it due to the whine. I recently replaced with a Aeromotive pump....like night and day....its so quiet and I hope it lasts. I picked it up in Lenexa at Star Performance. https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/200-fuel-pump/

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
My Fuel pump in my Diesel BRONCO IS LOUD . It's so loud I can hear it over the Diesel motor ... I'm used to it but I can't believe i can hear it .

bam

Contributor
Loc.
Laurel, Ms
I have gone through 3 pumps, now getting 3rd from new vendor, NAPA has been selling the ones with the two legs and I keep getting stuck on the road, last about 2 3 weeks than die, Tried cheap electric pumps, same.
question is can I hook a electric pump in line and flip a switch when the block pump fails// my concern is do I put the electric in line and will it pup through the bad or failed mechanical pump, or should I put a by pass in the fuel line. has any had this pump problem?? I also have a CHA carb but that is working ok so far.
thanks

302 block rebuilt engine runs great when it has gas.

i have a electric pump on a toggle switch i use to to prime up my 76 . it pushes through the manual

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The old owner of my pickup set all of his trucks up like that. Auxiliary electric pump inline just in case the main pump failed. Not sure if he ever needed to use them though.
Unfortunately like was mentioned many pumps fail and let fuel pump straight into the crankcase.
When mine failed it shot gas out of the vent hole. I had thought I had it made when the pump died on I-5 heading south through the Ashland area of Oregon. Flipped the toggle to get the electric pump working and voila! Gas out the side and right on to the exhaust manifold!

Oh well, stuff happens. Called a cab and gave the driver a few bucks right there on the side of the freeway to run over to the local parts store and pick up a pre-ordered pump. Limped to the next exit a few yards away, grabbed a lovely hotel room just in case, and got the pump delivered and changed it out in the parking lot.
Entertaining evening project. Glad it didn't happen in a less hospitable place.

I like the idea of a spare pump all ready to go. But there are times it's just not going to work.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like to buy my auto parts from the places that deliver to the local garages.
An auto repair business doesn't have time for "come backs" because of crappy parts.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have a fitech that just quit on me. Had a brand new whalbro pump. Everything stopped functioning. So, we built a new system with a bosch pump on the frame. Same thing, will not start now. Could two brand new pumps die??:?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could two brand new pumps die??:?

Absolutely! Happens all the time in fact.
Fortunately fuel pumps are not the least reliable of modern parts, but they're not perfect either.
But on the flip side of that thought, I would not expect a Bosch to die too early either. Not impossible, just not as likely.

You're sure it's not a glitch in the wiring, or the pump controller with the FiTech unit? How are they controlled? A relay circuit built into the EFI unit? Have you verified 12v at the pump when it's not running?

Paul