• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cleaning inside of Dana 20

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. I Searched on flushing and rinsing with no hits. Cleaning got all the garage cleaning threads :). I'm not planning to rebuild the TC, but I thinking to flushing the inside and refill. Tcase is out of rig. I got a bit ahead of myself and primed it after cleaning all the gunk off the outside before cleaning the inside

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403447201.897602.jpg

I'm thinking diesel or engine cleaner. Is that ok? Anything that I shouldn't use?

Thx

Hank

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have chunks of stuff in there and then you should rebuild it. Brake cleaner works good at getting old oil out but may remove the primer.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just about anything will do. ATF, spray cans of carb or brake cleaner, kerosene.
Doing a diff cover swap on the daily driver a couple of squirts of carb cleaner (what was on hand) took off the grey film on the parts and cleaned up the sealing surface for the RTV.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all. I will douche it out some before hanging it on the ZF that's on the engine stand now.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I soak my parts in diesel fuel, kerosene works a little better if you can find it, without having to drive 10 miles, gas will work too but it's not safe. Let them soak for a day, then scrub them, then blast them with an alcohol based degreaser or denatured alcohol. Then prime and paint (or in my case powdercoat because I am a powdercoat junky)