• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clear Tcase Cover Got tired of waiting.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
That is one thing that I asked my guy too and something I wanted to test on mine before putting it out there too. He said the polycarb is NOT heat resistant. Carriers do get warm. I think it is a very valid concern for longterm. We might ask who is running the clear front 44 cover and how long they've had it.

elemetal said:
Nice job Walker, always good to see innovation. One thing I'm curious about is the longevity of that material. It's probably bomb proof (literally I guess) but I would watch for deterioration do to heat and/ petroleum products. Certain plastics get really brittle in that kind of an environment and start to craze from the holes. If not, that's a damn good way to keep an eye on your t-case.

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: - From McMaster Carr
This item matches all of your specifications.

Part Number 84805K32 $174.91 Each

UL Rating
UL 752 Level 1

Shape
Sheets,
Sheets, Rectangular Sheet

Thickness
.78"

Thickness Tolerance
±.062"

Length
24"

Length Tolerance
±.125"

Width
12"

Width Tolerance
±.125"

Material
Polycarbonate

Polycarbonate Material
Bullet-Resistant Polycarbonate

Clear
Clear with No Tint

Lowest Operating Temperature
-99° to -1° F

Highest Operating Temperature
+100° to +200° F

Operating Temperature Range
-40° to +170° F

Performance Characteristic
Weather Resistant

Tolerance
Standard

Specifications Met
Underwriters Laboratories (UL)

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
walker949 said:
This in not common glass guys, it is armoured glass.
I can picture the bronco driver ad with TOFIC, rifle over shoulder, standing beside a TC with a 7.62mm dent (not hole) in the cover ;D

walker949 said:
call it the TOFIC TCASE COVER??
Don't forget to router or sandblast your signature in the corner of the second plate! Legacy? ;D

Very kind offer to the board. Thank you.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I think this is sufficient.
It's not bullet proof, but listed as 250 times stronger than safety glass:
McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com
1/2" thick, 12"x24" sheet $40.80 Part Number: 8574K45
1/2" thick, 12"x12" sheet $22.44 Part Number: 8574K32
glasslike transparency, 30 times stronger than acrylic.
Polycarbonate
• Color: Clear, unless noted
• Temp. Range: -40° to +200° F
• Softening Temp.: Not rated
• Tensile Strength: Good
• Impact Strength: Excellent
• Poor electrical insulator
• Use indoors and outdoors
• Machine with standard
tooling, unless stated
• Hardness: Rockwell R118 Comparable to Lexan, Hyzod, and Tuffak, this material has excellent clarity and impact strength over a wide temperature range.

Last edited:

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Polycarb sheets are on Ebay all the time too. Take a look.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Nice! I can see the ad now. Flexed out EB on an articulation ramp (EB belly showing). Taking shots at the cover at a table from 30 yards away. ;D

drscotch said:
I can picture the bronco driver ad with TOFIC, rifle over shoulder, standing beside a TC with a 7.62mm dent (not hole) in the cover ;D

Brewbro21

Man guys I don't care who makes them I just want one or two. I don't think a regular drill press will work with this stuff will it?

Brewbro21

Yellotx73 if you still can, you should continue and make these. Maybe you could make some coin on the side too, hopefully. ;)

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Well, I've PM'ed TOFIC about this. IF he can offer them cheaper, then I will no longer pursue this. I belive my costs will be higher than his. I am looking at having these done with an injection mold for the cover. The steel rings will be cut with a water jet. I don't really care about making any coin on the first run through, if I do continue with this. I just want to cover costs of making the first 100 units or so. If they are hit and can be sold to some of the parts houses, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I would still be interested in making these, especially if TOFIC could not do the volume. I don't know how long it would take to make one of these by hand either. We'll just wait and see what TOFIC says

OP
OP
TOFIC

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Its a go!!

I just talked to Ben regarding this. He has given his blessing for me to offer this to you guys on this site at a reasonable price. I noticed some of you have some valid concerns regarding this

UV rating, who cares?? I dont park my Bronco upside down.
Tempurature distortion, not a factor, the temps should be within the range of the glass. If your exhaust is too close you will have problems as the hot exhaust will cook it off
Strength?? Jesus if you break this stuff you have broken something else too.
like your driveshafts just calved or the Tcase just blew up. I use a piece of 1/4" square of this glass to bend around curves. I just can't break it.
Cost?? Man, some of those prices are unreal Yellow75 your sheet is 3/4 inch material you dont need that and it will interfere with the gears.
Oil and lub resistance. this thing does not react with the material. Manufacturer assures me of this. We will see.
IT WILL SCRATCH!! As you can see from the picture I have scratched in a full line. (Monkeyproofing it, sorry Bill couldn't resist) So if you drag across the rocks all the time keep this in mind.

My plate is machined to inset partially into the case. This adds to the leak resistance and adds to the strength. The bolt holes are reinforced with stainless steel washers. (you need this as torquing the bolts would scratch the pretty sheet) As if you guys would worry about that.

The second one goes to the website for giveaway. JON contact me about this. Here is your chance to get #2 for free. I have #1.

Heres the big one - - - Cost if you want me to make you one. I can make you one for 30 bucks. You pay the shipping. Keep in mind these are hand made items not machine cranked things. There will be little things and stuff
that will be slightly different on each sheet. Shipping is minimal I could mail one to Hawaii (Mad you listening?) or Alaska (Paine you there?) for about 4 to 6 bucks. Not bad for a bling item that is functional eh what??

TOFIC

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
yeh thoses are pretty cool and what can you cut drill that stuff with??? thanks

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
TOFIC, where do I send the moolah ($$)?
Is paypal an option? I don't care, I'm happy ;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Walker- I am in. Let me know details on shipping, when, where, how much (including shipping) and by what method. This will be great. Thanks to both you and YellowTX for coming up with the idea and bringing it to life.

John

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
Now thats the cats meow! well done! Add me on the list!

Old Fart, How many of these do you plan to make? Looks like you will be getting a bunch of orders......

Last edited: