• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clearance between header tube and starter housing

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
May be a non-issue but gonna ask the question anyway. One of the header tubes is touching the starter housing. Is there a risk of the heat from the exhaust causing a problem for the starter? Really don’t want to take the header on that side but will if it’s necessary and dent the tube and reinstall.
Any advice appreciated.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_3580.jpeg
    IMG_3580.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 26

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I don’t think that will hurt anything. The starter by get heat soaked by the proximity of the headers. Touching the flange is odd. If it we me I would “dimple” that tube just for piece of mind and eliminate any chance of rubbing or rattling.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
On my great phone that appears to be the bell housing not the starter housing. Semantics to some, until you buy the wrong part.

While it can transfer heat to the starter it has quite a bit of heat sink area. With that said the exhaust should not have direct contact with anything transmission/tcase, frame, fuel item, brake , suspension etc.

Try a pry bar to get a little clearance, being warm might help.

Edit: Just realized this is a duplicated thread. You can have Jon combine them.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is header contacting bellhousing. I don't see anything close to the starter itself.
Generally that is not the greatest. You get heat conduction. Air gap is good. Don't need much. While more is better, anything is better than direct contact.
I would recommend trying to bend the headers slightly, even a few minor dents in the tube. Try and get ¼" of air gap at least.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
don;t think it will hurt either but may create a vibration /rattle.... could try a pry bar to manipulate the tubes a bit between bell housing and headers 1/4 inch would be nicer to see..

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
if it bothers you You'll need to dent it. It will continue to bother you if it does until you do something about it.

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Well, looks like I’ll be working on a header tube. Only consolation I have is that there’s nothing in the way to get to the header…and I do mean nothing. Inner fender and wheel tub removed for replacement so it’s just a matter of doing it.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Randy

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Edit: Just realized this is a duplicated thread. You can have Jon combine them.
Yeah, I’m not exactly sure how that happened. Lol I was calling it the starter housing for the simple fact that that’s where the starter bolts up. Should have said the bellhousing at the point where the starter bolts up.
Mea Culpa

Randy

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Randy, I'll gladly loan you one of my big crowbars :)
While I do appreciate your offer, Lars, I’m pretty sure that would be an expensive item to drive/fly out to pick up and then return it. Lol 😂. Think I’ll just loosen the header bolts and use my ‘little’ crowbar to make the adjustment.

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with the others that yours isn’t as bad as some I’ve seen. But it’s definitely an issue to be dealt with, and many cases.
Not a non-issue at all.
Header heat and starters have not mixed well for decades. The worst offenders were always Chevy engines with headers, which always seem to put the header tubes right next to the starter motor itself. Very bad combo!
Seems to work fine for awhile, but eventually the starter takes a beating and you get some hard, slow cranking with a heavy load on the starter cable.
It’s likely one of the main reasons for many upgrading to much larger cables.

Last edited:

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Yeah, I’m not exactly sure how that happened. Lol I was calling it the starter housing for the simple fact that that’s where the starter bolts up. Should have said the bellhousing at the point where the starter bolts up.
Mea Culpa

Randy
No worries. I thought that is what you meant but wanted to be sure .

To Paul's point I've made more than a few heat shields for starters and as much wiring as reasonable possible. My firebird just doesn't have room for even a heat shield. Not into header wrap. Starters are cheaper than headers.

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m probably gonna go with some header wrap to help with engine bay temps, plus I’m hoping to get a little bit of scavenger effect from keeping the exhaust gas hot at the collector and flowing out better…at least that’s how it works on motorcycles.

Randy