• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cobra 4.6 engine swap

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It has been done, but not real common. There are many vaiants of the modular motors that gives each a new set of challenges. Most of us will end up doing the swap ourselves, so asking for prices to farm the work out to a shop is rather foriegn. Then figure that there is usually a transmission upgrade involved at the same time and that will further drive up the costs. Overall, drop the truck off at a shop and blank check it, getting real close to the 5-figure mark for everything.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
other than just to be different there's no real benefit to doing the swap. The cobra version is even more high strung than the standard 4.6 peak Hp and Tq are at around 5800/4800 for the cobra engine Standard 4.6 is 4500/3200 slightly better. but I dont see the cobra engine being well suited for a bronco IMO.
I'd say that price is fairly cheap for a cobra engine, My biggest concern is how much it has been trashed on or if it needs to be rebuilt or what parts you wil still need to get to make it run.
One thing I think many people overlook is where the power is made with some of these engines. a cobra engine was made to race its not well suited for a 4wd. unless your racing or want to run lowenough axle gearing for the engine to be in its power band. IMO you can easily build a 300 hp 351W and swap that in directly for way less $$ and have a engine that better suited for a bronco.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I have a 1974 with a 1996 Cobra motor installed. I bought it done so I do not have all the details but is not a "bolt in swap". Some issues custom wiring & computer, cross member, front suspension changes, mods to accessories, cooling issues, etc. The power is smooth and consistent. Mine is actually very quiet and smooth running. The biggest benefit is popping the hood to show it off. If I did another motor swap I would go with the 90s 5.0 motor.

Matt_brianna

Loc.
Rapid City
A guy on norcalbroncos did one. Turned out fantastic, and his build thread has tons of pics. Its under "svt 4.6 power 68" on the project section. The guy is also building a mini bronco out of part of a miata... If you check it out you will understand why i say part.

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
Ya i was just going for to be different but I'm still tossin it around either spend all my money on a 4.6 conversion or put a built 90s 5.0 in there so many decisions:eek:

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I can pick up a 98 cobra 4.6 for 2200 which seems kinda spendy for just the motor alone
Ya too high if stock. You can buy an 03/04 DOHC(which is forged, unlike previous years) with a supercharger for around $3k and it will handle 1000hp no prob

JRED

I have a 2001 2v 4.6 with the pi heads that I was going to put in my 68. I had engine completely rebuilt. Also have motor mounts and headers for the bronco swap also. pm me if you want.