• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Colorado Trails

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I'm going to be spending some time around Denver for a family reunion the week of July 17. I'm taking my Bronco, and my brother is taking his new Tacoma. We wanted to explore a trail or two while we are out in the mountains. I was thinking of the Bill Moore Lake Trail, as it is close to where we will be during the week, and it doesn't seem overly difficult for some limited experience off-roaders.

I'm not sure if there are any other trail recommendations that anyone has.

I'm also curious if I need to purchase any off-road or trail stickers, and where to get them.

If anyone else is interested in joining us, let me know. I might ask you if some additional family members can ride along (my brother and I can only take so many) :)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I was hoping someone more familiar with the trails in No CO would chime in. I've never done Bill Moore Lake so I can't really comment, but looking a the guide, it does have a few Red sections - usually the rating is based on a stock jeep. There are several trails south of Idaho Springs that I have been on and most are not that hard. Not a trail, but Mount Evans is a very nice scenic drive to over 14,000 feet - then you can hike another 300 feet in elevation and brag you summited a 14er!

You would not need an OHV sticker for any of the better known trails in the area. These trails had there beginnings as county roads for mine access so any licensed vehicle is OK. There are a few "trails" that do require an OHV permit/sticker for a licensed vehicle, but there are very few of these. The good thing about the permit is you would be supporting trail maintenance to help keep all trails open and I believe you get 1 free recovery if needed!

We'll be in the Glenwood Springs area the following week which is a bit farther west. Wish I could join you.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
There’s a trail south of Georgetown that follows the old Argentine narrow gauge railroad route. Mine ruins and I think fairly scenic from what I remember reading. Maybe someone that’s been in that area can confirm as I have not been up there.

OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Had a great time out west!

6087fe672a73d6b4b73c18661333bbe9.jpg
150744863e6bc2959577312c12e91853.jpg
ff01da8667d8dda2d23ed23b796420be.jpg
f264360a58ec22eb1fe6583986adcddc.jpg
454dc6c0a9559f17878240615e8dc33e.jpg
c71235a3b08aa11885a6ebb54ca751b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Envious! Glad you had a great time!

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, great shots!
Looks like it was "perfect top-off weather" judging by the first pic. Absolutely a calendar worthy image.
Heck, even the Jeepster pic is calendar worthy. Just not on a classicbroncos calendar! Great looking Jeepster. Someone in your group?
Saw a beautiful white one on nearby just a couple of days ago.

Paul

OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Yes, great shots!
Looks like it was "perfect top-off weather" judging by the first pic. Absolutely a calendar worthy image.
Heck, even the Jeepster pic is calendar worthy. Just not on a classicbroncos calendar! Great looking Jeepster. Someone in your group?
Saw a beautiful white one on nearby just a couple of days ago.

Paul
Not part of our group, just randomly on the road ahead of me. That's where the moose and calf was.

As for the weather, that was one of the two days I got rained on pretty good. Stopped raining on the way up the mountain and then was just foggy.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk