• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Confused Again, naturally

Lon L

I bought a saginaw p/s pump https://www.tuffstuffperformance.co...stealth-black-6162b.html?ref=category:1267416 to replace a single return p/s pump (also Tuff Stuff) for my hydro boost install. I preferred a little cleaner look and did not want to use the T fitting. So here is where the confusion sets in . The new pump/reservoir came without a pressure fitting installed.

I have some fittings that came in the Wild Horses Braided hose kit https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Generic-SS-Braided-Hydro-Boost-Hose-Kit/Bronco_Power_Brakes . Some have O-rings and some do not. Which - if any of these fittings would be correct to install in the reservoir for the Hi pressure line to the Hydro Boost unit? My first thought was to remove the fitting that was on the other Tuff Stuff reservoir, however it appeared to be a flow control fitting and the threads on reservoir end were larger than the one on the new pump. I would really like to not screw this up as I figure a hi pressure leak will make quite a mess.

Let me end this by saying thank you to whomever read my long winded explanation, and just in-case you haven't figured it out---- I am not a mechanic :( I can read detailed instructions and turn wrenches :)

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can fix the pic for you but I got nothing on what you need to do with the fittings - Good luck with the project

Attachments

• Tuff Stuff pumpx.jpg
    Tuff Stuff pumpx.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 48

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Take the plastic plug out of the pressure port and post another picture.

Saginaw pumps use two styles of fittings - one with an O ring and one with a conical suppression fitting. Without seeing the fitting on your pump with the plastic plug removed, we can't tell you what fitting you need to adapt to your hydroboost hose.

That WH kit appears to convert everything to -6 fittings which makes sense. You simply need the right combination of parts at the pump to create the -6 port for the hose. Need to see what's there behind the plastic plug first.

OP
OP
L

Lon L

Take the plastic plug out of the pressure port and post another picture.

Saginaw pumps use two styles of fittings - one with an O ring and one with a conical suppression fitting. Without seeing the fitting on your pump with the plastic plug removed, we can't tell you what fitting you need to adapt to your hydroboost hose.

That WH kit appears to convert everything to -6 fittings which makes sense. You simply need the right combination of parts at the pump to create the -6 port for the hose. Need to see what's there behind the plastic plug first.
tuff2.jpg Like this?

Thanks,
Lon

OP
OP
L

Lon L

No, you still can't see what type of pressure port it is.

Remove the pump and take a picture showing the port instead of trying to do it in the Bronco.

Thats alright. I will call tuff stuff and have them tell me what it calls for. I do not want to remove the pulley again.

I would think all GM type type II pumps would require the same type and plug on the reservoir side. I was hoping to obtain that knowledge, get the fitting and screw it in.

Thanks anyway,
Lon

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I bought a saginaw p/s pump https://www.tuffstuffperformance.co...stealth-black-6162b.html?ref=category:1267416 to replace a single return p/s pump (also Tuff Stuff) for my hydro boost install. I preferred a little cleaner look and did not want to use the T fitting. So here is where the confusion sets in . The new pump/reservoir came without a pressure fitting installed.

Your tuffstuff pump 6162B shows as correct for the 1996-2013 Chevy. All of the GM applications after (I think) 1980 use the GM Metric O-ring fitting.

So if you want to use the tuffstuff pump, then you need to use an o-ring fitting. Or you can change the pump fitting. Or you can use one of the adapters to get from o-ring to SAE inverted flare.

The problem is that there are many options that will work. You just need to pick one solution and go with it...

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Good luck!

I'm with James and based on what I can see in your photo, I think it's an o-ring fitting and the one Ruff Stuff tells you to buy won't work but if they say it will, then go for it!

Todd Z.

OP
OP
L

Lon L

Good luck!

I'm with James and based on what I can see in your photo, I think it's an o-ring fitting and the one Ruff Stuff tells you to buy won't work but if they say it will, then go for it!

Todd Z.
He said that pump has the flow valve installed inside and required no o-ring. I hope he is right

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
He said that pump has the flow valve installed inside and required no o-ring. I hope he is right

Better to actually post photos as requested so we can see what you're working with instead of guessing and hoping for the best. If you in fact have the O-ring fitting as thought and use the conical fitting in the link you posted, the pump is going to puke fluid all over your engine bay upon start up. The conical fitting will not seal an o-ring port.

OP
OP
L

Lon L

Better to actually post photos as requested so we can see what you're working with instead of guessing and hoping for the best. If you in fact have the O-ring fitting as thought and use the conical fitting in the link you posted, the pump is going to puke fluid all over your engine bay upon start up. The conical fitting will not seal an o-ring port.

Did you view the link with printed instructions? It seems to show the exact same fitting he told me to use. So I dont know . Thats why I asked and called mfr to inquire. I asked about the o ring specifically, he replied it would be useless. Like I said before , I really do not want to remove the pump pulley in order to uninstall the pump for a picture. I believe you are correct about o ring fittings on some of the pumps, but the instruction sheet and the tech support individual from Tuff Stuff seem to contradict you. So maybe this Type II pump seals on the inside off the can at the valve?

OP
OP
L

Lon L

Unbolt the whole bracket from the engine and remove the assembly.

Not as easy as you would think. it is the BC Broncos mount for AC (which is installed and plumbed, just not worth the effort . I will use the fitting the manufacture is telling me to use , I guess if it is wrong I will need a big box rags . Di you look at the links I provided? Why do you not believe the fittings prescribed in the instructions are correct? I do not understand that. Also, I called wild horses and was told it is the same fitting, inverted flare with nothing more than the brass ball fitting. He called it a mushroom ball. Press it in and screw in fitting, is what he told me. Sounds unnecessary to disassemble anything. I am not a mechanic. I am an old man in my garage. Things do not come as easy for me as you may think.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
So maybe this Type II pump seals on the inside off the can at the valve?

They may have installed the conical seals that James mentions in the pump and we just can't see them. I was going to go out in the garage this morning before work and snap some pics of the o-ring port in my Saginaw pump so you'd have something to compare it to but ran out of time. Is there a way for you to at least stick a mirror down there so you can confirm that the port looks like the one in their instruction sheet?

I think we're all just trying to make sure that you don't do any unnecessary work or have a mess to clean up. I'm an old man in my little garage too and I hate to do extra work!

Todd Z.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

Attachments

• 8DEBEAE2-27D1-4800-9986-CDB028FE1664.jpeg
    8DEBEAE2-27D1-4800-9986-CDB028FE1664.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 18
  • A68A84FC-3D81-4686-929D-B50125CCB6D6.jpg
    A68A84FC-3D81-4686-929D-B50125CCB6D6.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 17

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Bit of follow up to maybe clear up some confusion. There is one other fitting that is common in some hydro boost and Ford Explorer applications. It is the same metric adapter (see pic) as other applications but the tread is slightly deeper not allowing the oring to seat properly, Lee's Power Steering is the only one offering a correct fitting. I've been chucking those fittings up in a lathe and cutting 1/2 the hex portion off to allow the fitting to seat deeper solving that issue since long before I ever heard of Lee's.

Again this does not apply to the discussion, merely a slight derailment to hopefully help clear up confusion.

Attachments

• A0AC9BEF-A431-4DB8-82D4-CB263F8358B7.jpeg
    A0AC9BEF-A431-4DB8-82D4-CB263F8358B7.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 10