• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling at idle/low rpm issues

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
I have a mildly built 302 with a hd 3 core radiatior, fan shroud and mechanical fan. I run at about 170-180 when cruising down the road, but at idle and creeping through a parking lot or trail the truck will hit 210 pretty quick. When I pick speed back up it will cool down to 180-190.

I am thinking that I need a electric pusher fan in front of the radiator, but have heard good and bad about doing this. I also don't want to mask a possible problem by adding the pusher fan. Is the pusher fan the correct fix?

Matt

Oh ya, I also have the inner fenders cut to allow air to get out.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I had the same exact problem. I traced it back to a crappy "economy" flex fan (that was beat up) and it was too far away from the radiator. The PO used a 1" fan spacer when he really should have used a 2". I upgraded the fan, changed the spacer, and since it is now so much closer, I installed a radiator fan guard just in case I play "U-Boat Commander". Now the needle stays right in the middle all the time.