• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling fan options - opinions wanted

madness

I need to upgrade my cooling fan and am trying to figure out what route to go. I have a 94 mustang engine in my Bronco and the little electric fan I currently have isn't up to the task. Should I just run a mech fan/shroud or will electric cool sufficiently? I only have 3.5 inches at the waterpump pulley. Is there a fan out of another vehicle that pushes 2500cfm+ or do I need to move the rad forward to fit a good electric?

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Kind of in the same boat using the van front dress on my 351W but not for sure how much room I'm going to have till it's installed this fall. Looks to be 3-4 inches and I can't find a fan/clutch combo that short.

I'm looking at going with the Liberty fan (see instructions in the Tech articles section) or using this http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/High_Output_Radiator_Fan_17in It all depends on how much room I have after install.

To gain more room, you may consider flipping the top radiator mounts to the outside. The Bronco radiator sits at an angle in it's stock mounts so moving them to the outside gest you 1/2 inch ore more.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Switch to the Explorer 5.0L serpentine front dress and use that fan.

More clearance, better fan = better cooling = win.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Explorer front dress (with the clutched fan) is the best cooling package I know of. And all the parts are mass produced. You will be able to service anything years later.

OP
OP
M

madness

Anyone know how long the exploder fan setup is, if I could run it without changing my dress, that'd be preferable in the short term.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Explorer fan attaches to the Explorer fan clutch. The fan clutch is a single nut thread onto the Explorer waterpump. So it won't attach to any waterpump that doesn't have that big waterpump thread. The only small block ford waterpump with that thread is the Explorer pump. And that pump needs the rest of the Explorer front dress since the belt is moved back and the timing cover has the special waterpump pattern to match the Explorer pump.

In short, all or nothing.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The Explorer front dress is awesome - the radiators are better too, $100 in stock with a lifetime warranty. You get a 4G alternator out of the deal too- its win-win.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you go fans shopping in the u pull it you can get creative. Some Dodge minivans have a single fan that is actually two speed. You can tell because it has more than two wires going to the fan motor. One set of wires powers the fan for engine cooling and the other is like high speed when the AC kicks on. Lets you manage you voltage draw and noise.

X3 on the Explorer front dress that was almost as good as disc brakes and EFI on the upgrade list.

mini73

I have a 351W that I am building and I am thinking of installing an electric fan. If I go with the "pull it" yard, what year explorer should I look for to get the front dress, electric fan and everything else to make it work on my 351w once installed. Im thinking of going serpentine setup also.

OP
OP
M

madness

So I already am running the mustang front dress, 4g alt, etc. Does the 93 and earlier mustang mech fan/clutch bolt up, I really don't want to track down a exploder serp setup before the roundup in a month...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you get a mechanical fan to fit the '94 mustang drive/waterpump that would be a first that I know of. I recall it being a little different, not the standard waterpump snout.

If you are running a stock '94 mustang front dress you don't have a 4G, that is a special compact alternator that fits the extra shot Explorer packaging. You should have a 3G.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If you do not want to run the Explorer set up then hit up Beerad here on CB.
He has a NAPA part number for a good Jaguar clutch fan that will fit in tight confines.
Having said that.....I do not believe you can improve on an Explorer set up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think that Jag fan requires the '93 and prior waterpump and front dress. Not the '94-5 stuff. I also think it requires standard rotation, not serpentine but I would have to look that one up again to be sure.

fishindude

Contributor
I have a 93 mustang engine in mine I used the serpentine belt set up that came with it and used a solid fan and a thinner spacer that i got from one of the venders. Its noisy but keeps it cool. wanted to do the explorer setup but was on a budget and went the cheaper rout.

COSCAG00

When I had my 351w I had a crappy flex fan and it always ran on the warm side. If I was to do it allover again I should have went explore and have been done with it. That being said I now have a 4bt in my Bronco and was looking into running a Taurus fan since it was a two speed fan. I did some Goggling on the subject and found that a Volvo fan with a Volvo controller (relay) and a 2 speed heat switch of off a Mercedes works flawlessly. I bought the fan and controller off of eBay and couldn't be happier.

Just another option to consider, but the explorer is the way I would go if I was in your shoes.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
When I had my 351w I had a crappy flex fan and it always ran on the warm side. If I was to do it allover again I should have went explore and have been done with it. That being said I now have a 4bt in my Bronco and was looking into running a Taurus fan since it was a two speed fan. I did some Goggling on the subject and found that a Volvo fan with a Volvo controller (relay) and a 2 speed heat switch of off a Mercedes works flawlessly. I bought the fan and controller off of eBay and couldn't be happier.

Just another option to consider, but the explorer is the way I would go if I was in your shoes.

Got any pics of that setup? first I've read about a Volvo fan. How much room do you need to get that fan in. Looks like I'll have 3 inches or just over. I will not know for sure till I get the 351W dropped in. Now that it's complete, I'm itching to get started on it.

Tim

tailpipe

Contributor
I have to agree that the Explorer front dress is the first step to cooling fan upgrades. It will allow you to gain space and therefore opening cooling fan options. I went with the old Taurus 2 speed and couldn't be happier. I also picked up the mechanical fan off the donor Explorer to use as a back up if the E fan was to fail.

Attachments

• ARbroncoHALF 141.jpg
    ARbroncoHALF 141.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 52

thorgan

I am running the Explorer timing cover and water pump on my 427W setup. I've got a radiator from an Explorer (90-94 4.0 V6) and I adapted a Lincoln MK VIII electric fan which is the same as the T-bird fan except it's single speed (I have a T-bird fan, just haven't installed it yet). I'm super happy that it keeps the 427 cool. However, I had to cut the core support and push the radiator forward to fit this setup.

If anyone's interested, I have what I believe is a complete Explorer front dress that I purchased for another project. That'll include the timing cover (brand new from Summit), water pump (again, brand new), alternator, p/s pump, I think that I have the A/C pump, and the brackets. I might even have most of the hardware to attach all of this.

PM me if interested.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have no experience with electric fans or clutch fans. All I know is what works for me. I use the factory seven blade flax fan. (no it's not a crappy flex fan) It moves enough air to keep the AC head pressure down at idle. It'll just about suck your shirt off!
Pretty expensive for a used part, but well worth the investment! Call Toms for the whole story.
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/prod...ry-v8-289302351w-66-77-early-ford-bronco-used