• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling problems continue

September 1972

A month ago I performed a cooling system test on the Bronco in 100F ambient temperature here in the San Fernando Valley which is located in the northern part of Los Angeles. The vehicle was stationary with the hood open and the results we're inconclusive insofar that I need to have the test done on videotape and have to watch it because I was alone at the time and did not want to overheat the Bronco. The thermostat housing was between 195F and 210F and started to climb when I decided to abort the testing procedures.

Using two temp guns on the exhaust manifolds, heads, and radiator and hoses and other locations, the temperatures we're flip flopping when the thermostat opened and closed. A hot manifold became cooler and a cool manifold became hotter and so forth.

The coolant flow might be disrupted by a restriction in the head or elsewhere which caused more coolant flow through a neighboring coolant jacket is one possible scenario.

The aluminum radiator might be the problem insofar as the flow and cooling characteristics are not the same as the stock radiator which Ford engineers designed for this application. Fluid dynamics is a very complicated field of engineering and a larger radiator can damage a engine because the thermostat closes too early before the heat is scavenged out of all parts of the engine and the water pump plays a critical role as well.

For example. The 195F thermostat opens and the large flow water pump moves the coolant out of the upper hose and down through the large aluminum radiator then through the bottom hose into the engine block then up through the heads and back to the top hose of the radiator. My temperature split was 20 to 40 and erratic which is not good, it should be 25 to 30 steady measuring the temperature of the top and bottom hose. I am beginning to strongly suspect the radiator and water pump but more tests are required.

If my suspicions are correct, the non factory radiator and water pump do such a good job in removing heat that the thermostat closed BEFORE the heat in certain parts of the heads and block had a chance to transfer their heat to the coolant. The process is repeated and the result is an engine with hot and cold spots instead of a nice even temperature throughout the entire engine which was the intent of Ford engineers.

Big tats on a lady does not necessarily mean the whole package is a tasty treat and in fact it might be downright nasty, the same thing applies here with water pumps and radiators.

Therefore, the areas of the engine which have not been provided enough time to transfer it's heat to the rapidly moving coolant, usually at the rear cylinder heads because of the normal velocity drop when the cooled coolant enters the engine block, heat up. The coolant at these areas will/may heat up beyond the limits of the 50/50 antifreeze and a 13 pound cap to about 260F which will cause a change of state of liquid to gas. This may cause a boil over when the engine is running but usually will occur when the engine is turned off because when the engine is running the gas is dispersed in the cooler parts of the coolant within the engine and turns back to liquid, but when the engine is turned off the gas will run unhindered in a pressure wave and slam into the cap which will overwhelm the spring and release the gas and coolant pressure wave.

My next step is to ensure that my A/F ratio is correct and the timing is right. I have a re curved distributor which is designed for 18 initial and an advance curve from 1300 RPM to 2200 RPM of 16 for an all in of 34. Retarded initial engine timing is a smog feature and there is nothing good about it, it holds in heat. When you apply 18 initial timing do you notice how free and easy the engine runs? That because the engine is happy there. My distributor guy checks his distributors on a machine and the advance is perfect, the red laser dots line up as the speed is increased within the mechanical advance range and as he pulls it past the mechanical advance stop at 2200 RPM to 5000 RPM there is no spark scatter. The only method to confirm that a distributor is working properly is this machine, a good timing light might show spark scatter but it's hit and miss.

Another step is to install 10K sensor rings under the spark plugs and on each exhaust manifold next to the cylinder and check the actual temperatures in operation. If they are not even as they should be, the upper radiator hose will be slightly pinched off to look for a positive change in even temperatures without creating a general overheating condition. If that doesn't work I'll try changing the pump to a lower flow model but my gut tells me that there is a restriction caused by corrosion blocking some small coolant holes or improper installation of intake manifold or head gaskets and an oversized radiator and water pump.

I hope this might help out some of you out there with cooling problems since understanding how things work is the first step to figuring out a solution.

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it's cycling that much I'd think thermostat is to slow to react.

zenadog

Loc.
St. Louis mo.
my buddy removed his fan altogether on a badass mustang with air. He found a electric fan motor and shroud setup out of a Lincoln navigator. He mounted it to his radiator and 190 degrees all day long with the air on in 100 degree heat. works great. he has it set up so the fan runs as needed to maintain that temperature.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your scenario is correct then would not removing the thermostat altogether be a test of at least some aspects of it? Or if not a good test to remove the entire thing, what about replacing it with a simple restrictor plate for consistency?

Paul

September 1972

Are you referring to my Bronco Paul? I didn't read all the posts but I think that Nickleboy fixed his problem and I didn't intend to hijack his post.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
This weekend I attended a couple nice car shows. Something I noticed was how many old cars had a puny four blade fan and no shroud. And yes, this was the OEM configuration.
So what's changed and why do so many complain of overheating these days?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
This weekend I attended a couple nice car shows. Something I noticed was how many old cars had a puny four blade fan and no shroud. And yes, this was the OEM configuration.
So what's changed and why do so many complain of overheating these days?

No power steering, no AC, low powered lights, maybe a low powered AM radio with one speaker, few traffic jams, short commutes in smooth flowing traffic, and owners with expectations that those cars matched.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And a motor thats probably not 50% larger nor bored 40-60 over. And better gas back then.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...many old cars had a puny four blade fan and no shroud. ... So what's changed and why do so many complain of overheating these days?
Are you asking about overheating complaints among drivers of old cars with puny 4-blade shroudless fans? I've driven a few like that, and I don't remember any temperature problems. But if you've heard people having those problems, the changes were probably deposits in the radiators, or layers of paint on the radiators, or poor maintenance causing high compression or lean mixture.

Or are you asking about complaints among drivers of "these days" cars? Too many things to list have changed. But mainly: power per displacement, and the relative size of the engine to the engine bay.

September 1972

The engines we're designed for straight run gasoline, more BTUH per pound and the specific gravity was different so old cars run lean on new fuels with ethanol. Add corrosion in the cooling jackets and carb bowls and retarded timing and lack of durable engine parts and it can be bad news..

September 1972

That is a good idea Paul if a restriction is suspected since I would choke it off 75% so that as the engine rises to 200F 210 220 the restricted area will stand out much hotter then once the ID is established the chokehold is released and allow a cooling off period before shutdown. I hope that it's just an oversized radiator and the engine wasn't loaded which was the reason the temps we're weird, thanks for the suggestion!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The diff in broncos and others is the space available for a radiator. So to cool any engine in a EB you need to have every thing preforming at peak. A 289 running leaded fuel takes a lot less cooling than does a 450 hp bored 60 over running unleaded gas. And with no room for a bigger radiator everything needs to be just right. Other cars do not have that problem.

September 1972

Yes, leaded fuel burns cooler and to cool 400 plus horsepower takes some thought and ability, more than simply slapping in a large radiator..

OP
OP
nickeboy

nickeboy

Contributor
Update on MY cooling issues. The Bronco ran around town in 100* heat with a temp of ~190. I came home and let it idle in the driveway and now it made it up to about 210* after 2 minutes or so. It stayed there long enough that I assume it wouldn't have got much worse. So, I'm going to order the Radiator Air Dams and also have my buddy fine tune the Carb and Timing. Thanks for the help and I'll update this thread once I have more time out with the bronco.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
I fixed all my cooling issues with a 3 core aluminum radiator and two electric fans, both set to come on when AC is turned on and otherwise at 180degs for one and the other at 190degs. Thermostat is a 195 and that's where mine runs now pretty much all the time. On the highway it may only run at 180-190 in very hot weather. That is barely into the normal range on my gauge.

September 1972

Nice work!

What is your delta split across the top and bottom hoses at 195F?

You can check the reserve cooling capacity and your temperature gauge a couple of ways. Idle the Bronco and cover the radiator with paper and watch the gauge rise since you need to be certain that it will if it does get hot which is doubtful but there is always the possibility of a rock or tree branch puncturing a hose. When the thermostat housing hits 220F remove the paper and keep it at idle and observe the temperature needle location, it might be at 1:00.

In five minutes if it doesn't drop temp speed the engine to 2500 until it does and if it doesn't remember the ambient temp of the test and if the engine hits 220F someday you know in advance that you are at or beyond it's capacity to remove heat. I think that at 85F ambient it will drop in less than 5 minutes to 195F but I would make sure I knew the capacity. My 428CJ has no reserve capacity so if it gets to half needle or 220F I know to take it easy. again, nice job!