• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

crimpers magic?

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Bought crimpers, similar to these. When I attempt to crimp a connector, all it does is bend the connector into a triangle. I figured the splice in the connector goes toward the number/ M side. Am I wrong or is there a magic trick to these things?

Attachments

• WP-2018-TOOL__62377_thumb.jpg
    WP-2018-TOOL__62377_thumb.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 225

markperry

Bronco Guru
X2 on the proper crimpers....It's kind of hard to explain but you need the crimpers that have a pointed side to them so they will push one side of the connector and a portion of the wire most of the way through the connector.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
X3. After dealing with PO's bad crimps on a few different trucks I like to solder but do crimp sometimes. When I do crimp, a quality crimper is worth every cent.
Mark.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I gave up on crimpers even bought good ones but I no longer have the strength in my hands to get the jib done .. So the last Lowes had vise grips on sale, I just bought 2 or 3 new vise grips that are supposed to be dedicated to crimping only. This way the tips stay flat . Seems to work good for me.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Your pic is pretty small - it almost looks like coax crimpers. %) This is the type I prefer, and they're VERY affordable.

<-Clicky

To get a good crimp, set the connector into the jaw (small for bare or red; large for blue or yellow) with the tooth pointing DEAD-center of the seam in the metal. Insert the wire & crush the edges of the tube so they dig into the wire. Then move the crimp to the inner jaw (the round one) with the depression pointing OUT of the plier jaws, and RE-crush it so the first crimp is forced even tighter. Then test it by pulling the wire reasonably hard. If it slips, either you did it wrong, or the connector is junk.

If you look closely, those pliers also have a small square jaw (between the large & small toothed jaws) for straightening heavy wire or final-crimping small bare connectors. It's also good for shaping soldered joints so they don't puncture heat-shrink.