• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D 20 Rebuild Gear Oil Weight

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
Just had my D20 rebuilt with the Tera Low. What weight gear oil should I use when I change it out after the break in period? Any Manufacture of quality Oil reccomended? and at what miles should I change the oil after break in, 500-1000? Thanks.
Also, rebuilt top loader 4 speed which uses 75W-90 any reccomended Manufactureer of quality Tranny Gear oil . The builder David Kee Transmissions said to change the tranny oil out between 500-1000 miles. I guess this would be about the same amount of miles for the D20.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I believe the Tera-low instructions recomend a 90 weight gear oil. I am running Mobil 1 75W-90(?) synthetic with my tera lows.

OP
OP

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
69Early said:
Just had my D20 rebuilt with the Tera Low. What weight gear oil should I use when I change it out after the break in period? Any Manufacture of quality Oil reccomended? and at what miles should I change the oil after break in, 500-1000? Thanks.
Also, rebuilt top loader 4 speed which uses 75W-90 any reccomended Manufactureer of quality Tranny Gear oil . The builder David Kee Transmissions said to change the tranny oil out between 500-1000 miles. I guess this would be about the same amount of miles for the D20.

Can I run regular gear oil in the tranny and synthetic in the transfer case? Right now I have the same, regular 75W-90 in both. Your right the Tera Low reccomends synthetic??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There should be a seal seperating the 2 fluids. If there isn't a seal, someone messed up and you will find the transmission draining into the transfer case.

So yes, you can run 2 different fluids.