• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20

angrytodd

Loc.
deale,maryland
I rebult the tcase put it back now the trany wount shift it is the 3 spd with a with a floor shifter will not go in or out or geer I did not move the shift rods on the shifter I dont know what is going on a little help guys

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
When you say it will not go in or out of gear, is it currently in gear and you can't get it out? Or is it in netural?

What about the TCase? Is it in netural? 2H? ...

Could be something did not match up properly when it went back together. When I rebuilt mine, i was able to turn the rear output shaft by hand with the drive line detached.

I would suggest putting tcase in netural and try again. If not, you might have to seperate the tcase and the transmission to see if the problem is there.

coob ~

67ster

Bronco Guru
You stated the tranny shift levers weren't moved but did you remember to lock it in first gear before pulling the t-case back ? The Ford repair manuals have a diagram of a special tool to keep first gear engaged and a warning that the rear portion of the mainshaft could slip back while removing the t-case . This could cause the "Pocket" bearings inside the maindrive gear to fall out along with some syncro parts . I hope this isn't the case . Good luck !!

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
They will most definetly fall out if you didnt lock the trans in low gear which locks up the trans. I locked the trans in gear and in a brownout moment decided to change the input shaft seal which was leaking while it was out. This as I learned is also a bad idea which allows the input shaft to move forward enough for the bearings to fall out. You have bunch of work on your hands if they fell out. You have to drop the cluster to get them back in. RAN input shaft comes out the front, RAT comes out the case. Tricky part is finding the exact length dummy shaft for the cluster so you dont lose those bearings too when you drop it. Dont mean to bring doom & gloom here but I screwed all this up once is why Im so smart {right!}. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be something minor, I never am

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Depends what type trans its is, RAT or RAN. Also depends om whether you have access to a correct dummy shaft for the cluster gear. Read my post above. What year is the Bronco, does it say RAT or RAN on the tag on the right front of the trans? Generally you will have to disassemble the trans to get them all back in without a dummy shaft. If its a RAT trans it will need to come apart because the input comes out from inside the case. Might want to farm that out if youre not familiar with them. I was just as pissed as you are, I know the feeling well and I had it locked in low gear with a turnbuckle. Maybe someone else has better tips, I dont claim to be an expert on it. I sure learned a lot from it though. Even the factory manuals are pretty hazy on the subject let alone the Haynes & Chilton

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well if it makes you feel better, i didn't know any of this and when i bought my tranny it was free shifting, i.e. i could shift it easily by moving the lever. even the guy at the tranny shop moved it a couple times. little did I know that this was sending little bearings all though the tranny. My mechanic didn't know it either, cause he went ahead and installed it. Got the whole thing bolted back together. He was even able to drive it round the block in first gear, then he shifted to second and drove a little more. It was when he tried to shift back to 1st that it locked up, no more go. So, $900 a rebuild and a reinstall later, it should all be running tomorrow. I didn't feel too bad, some of the other internals were needing replacement anyhow. You live, you learn.

Selling this made me feel a little better about the cost.

LS

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
lonesouth said:
Selling this made me feel a little better about the cost.

LS

any chance that is something you happened to pick-up on the cheap or jsut stumbled across. i have a co-worker that plays around with old radios and tubes. i think hed apprecaite the story.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
weps said:
any chance that is something you happened to pick-up on the cheap or jsut stumbled across. i have a co-worker that plays around with old radios and tubes. i think hed apprecaite the story.

I am not sure where I got it, but i probably came across it about 10 years ago. I used to collect these when i was 15 or 16, it has been in a box since 1998 at least. I know i would not have paid more than $10 for it.

Sorry to get off topic.

LS