• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 Pinion Preload?

BrianD

Loc.
Denver
Anybody rebuild a Dana 30 lately? I have a '69 Sport with a Dana 30, keeping her stock and overhauling the front diff. Original shop manual ain't too clear about the pinion preload, which uses shims to preload instead of a crush collar. I THINK what the manual is saying is to torque that pinion nut down with about 220 ft lbs and then check the preload. If the preload is too high, add shims, if too low, remove shims. Is this right?

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
BrianD said:
Anybody rebuild a Dana 30 lately? I have a '69 Sport with a Dana 30, keeping her stock and overhauling the front diff. Original shop manual ain't too clear about the pinion preload, which uses shims to preload instead of a crush collar. I THINK what the manual is saying is to torque that pinion nut down with about 220 ft lbs and then check the preload. If the preload is too high, add shims, if too low, remove shims. Is this right?

Sound right to me. Preload should be around 18-20 inch pounds with new bearings...