• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 pinion preload issue. Opinions needed

widowmaker77

Contributor
I installed a new set of 4:56 gears in my Dana 44
Set my pinion depth and preload then checked backlash And tooth pattern. Got the pattern and backlash set to speck. Removed carrier, torqued pinion set up nut to 190ft. Rechecked pre load with all new bearings and races no seal or outer baffle my preload was at rotational 20-22in pounds.
That’s what new bearings call for from what I’ve been able to determine. So I removed set up nut installed outer baffle and pinion seal. Torqued new lock nut to 190 and pinion felt super hard to
Turn. So out of curiosity I rechecked preload with seal still installed and I’m at rotational 50
Inch pounds now!
So my question is could the seal actually be causing all this extra pressure? I know it will cause some but this is a lot!
I’m using a seal I got from bronco graveyard and it seems to be built different than the old seal
I removed. Like it has an extra thick sealing surface that goes up in to and presses to the back of the yoke. Pic is of the part of the seal I’m referring to IMG_5524.png

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
No. The seal won't do that...unless you've got the wrong seal, and it is rubbing on the face.

Pull the yoke. Apply a big slather of white grease / anti-sieze / marking compound on the front of that seal rubber and the yoke journal. Look to see where the witness mark ends up on your yoke. Most likely your yoke flange is rubbing that seal protrusion.

Every since Dana / Spicer started naming everything under the sun a "Dana 44" the aftermarket has responded by making parts that don't fit. I think you will find the National 5778 will have a lip protrusion that is compatible with your yoke. The one in your pic looks funny to me.

Attachments

• 5778.jpg
    5778.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
No. The seal won't do that...unless you've got the wrong seal, and it is rubbing on the face.

Pull the yoke. Apply a big slather of white grease / anti-sieze / marking compound on the front of that seal rubber and the yoke journal. Look to see where the witness mark ends up on your yoke. Most likely your yoke flange is rubbing that seal protrusion.

Ever since Dana / Spicer started naming everything under the sun a "Dana 44" the aftermarket has responded by making parts that don't fit. I think you will find the National 5778 will have a lip protrusion that is compatible with your yoke. The one in your pic looks funny to me.
Yes sir it looked funny to
Me also but I put it in any way since I got it from bronco graveyard with all my other frontend parts. The one you have pictured looks like the one I knocked out of my housing. I’ll try the grease/ anti seize and see what I come up with. Thanks!

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Ok so I smeared anti seize on the seal outer lip and reinstalled yoke. I could see it was causing a good bit of drag by the marking left in the backside of yoke. Just to further satisfy my curiosity I cut a big portion of that lip off. Reinstalled yoke and torqued nut to spec. I’m back at 20ish inch pounds or rotational torque. So no parts store around me carrier the national seal. I ordered it from rock auto. Will be here Thursday. So for anyone else that finds this thread be cautious of the Dana 44 pinion seal bronco graveyard sells

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Ok so I smeared anti seize on the seal outer lip and reinstalled yoke. I could see it was causing a good bit of drag by the marking left in the backside of yoke. Just to further satisfy my curiosity I cut a big portion of that lip off. Reinstalled yoke and torqued nut to spec. I’m back at 20ish inch pounds or rotational torque. So no parts store around me carrier the national seal. I ordered it from rock auto. Will be here Thursday. So for anyone else that finds this thread be cautious of the Dana 44 pinion seal bronco graveyard sells
Oreilly master-pro 5778 for $9.95 or
Autozone Duralast 5778 for $9.79
Napa 15788 for $27.99

Is just as good as the National or Timken one...

Sorry, I assumed when I gave you the National number that you would cross it to your favorite local parts house.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Oh it’s fine. I appreciate the help. We have oreilys , autozone and advance auto parts here. None of them have any pinion seals in stock for my bronco so I was making a order from rock auto for wheel bearings and seals anyway so I
Just got the national seal from them.