• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 ring gear bolts

dannywahlberg

Loc.
c-ville Ut
I need new bolts for my ring gear and was wondering if grade 8 bolts are ok to use or do I need specific bolts for this.Its for my Dana 44 front with an open carrier.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I believe they require special bolts. The rebuild kit, or your gear change kit should have these. What happened to the originals? you can reuse them. Don't forget the locktite on these.
TOFIC

ransil

Bronco Guru
what tofic says about the locktite, the PO on mine did not use it and 6 of the bolts were in the bottom of the case

OP
OP
dannywahlberg

dannywahlberg

Loc.
c-ville Ut
Thanks for the replies. I have the thick ring gear that requires the bigger bolts so the new bolts in the install kit and the old ones are too small so I was just going to get some 7/16" grade 8 bolts from the Home Depot thats two blocks from my house.I knew the originals were grade 9 but I have not seen those there.I also saw an ad for a 9 inch install kit that came with new grade 8 bolts so these might be ok?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
No. Home depot bolts? That's funny. Good luck with that. I bet they don't even have the bolt. Chinese grade 8. Your going to regret this.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Check thread pitch.
If I remember right ring gear bolts are fine thread.
Most grade 8s are going to be course at HD.
Just something to look out for.

OP
OP
dannywahlberg

dannywahlberg

Loc.
c-ville Ut
chinese bolts huh. Isnt everything made in china these days.I thought a grade 8 bolt was a grade 8 bolt and yes they are a fine thread 20 tpi actually.I just want to get this back together and dont want to wait for a bolt kit to be shipped that is if they are the right ones and who knows where these would be made.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well at this point I am all for you putting it together. Get er done.

Why did you even ask?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I find it odd that you ask if grade 8 is ok, we say no, and you say you're going to do it anyway. Why did you even ask?

We are trying to help you do it right.

Why does a thick ring gear need longer bolts? Having more threads engaged is not going to increase the shear strength.

OP
OP
dannywahlberg

dannywahlberg

Loc.
c-ville Ut
I wanted to know if anyone else had done this and had any failures.This is the first ring and pinion install I have ever done and just wanted to get it right.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have seen bolt failure using the correct bolts.

OP
OP
dannywahlberg

dannywahlberg

Loc.
c-ville Ut
I am not set on using HD bolts yet,I am trying to get some input on this and its been good so far,thanks guys.If i use them and they fail I will keep you all posted.I would get some r&p install practice and maybe a locker anyway.;D

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
You should really compare the shoulder of the HD bolt to the stock ring gear bolt. I'm pretty sure the shoulder is bigger.
Go to Napa they can have the correct bolts in a day.

OP
OP
dannywahlberg

dannywahlberg

Loc.
c-ville Ut
That was my plan actually 'cause the HD does'nt have s*&t for grade 8 bolts.HD bolts was just a reference for "other than kit bolts"anyway.I have already canceled my wheeling trip this weekend so I can get this done right with good made in the USA(hopefully)hardware.Thanks for talking me out of using inferior crap on my Bronco.

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
The bolt "Grade" such as Grade 8.8 which is identified by the head markings on the bolt refers to the minimum tensile ultimate strength and the tensile yield strength. There are many other factors that go into the design and manufacture of a quality fastener, but these factors are not guaranteed just because the head was stamped. Cut or rolled threads, rolled fillets, the specific alloy used, air melt or vac melt processing, etc etc. All bolts are not created equal regardless of what the sticker on the box says.

There are many applications where any ole grade 8 bolt will do. But for a critical installation where the bolts have to work for a living, I wouldn’t use anything from a housewife hardware store. If it was me, I’d get the proper bolts from a drive train distributor or at a minimum go to an industrial hardware store and get certified high strength hardware.

Just my $.02. Good luck!