• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana44, re-gearing advice needed

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Axles Guru's,
I finally found a Dana44, it is out of '77 and has 3:54.1 gears (I think). I have dicided I need to run 4:56.1 with 35" tires. I will be running my rig on the hwy a lot.
I'm going to have it built before I install it.

My question is, what should I do about a locker, I really don't want something that will be high maintenance, or will be a problem if ran on the hwy, Do I want a limited slip type? I don't want an air locker or electric locker at this time.
I just want something that will be there incase I need it!
What should I look into? What would be right for a work horse? ???
Any susgestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
If it runs Highway a lot then why would you NEED a front locker? A rear locker suits my Daily Driver/ Weekend 'wheeler fine. I mean maybe you 'wheel the piss out of it when you go, but I would hold off if it's not hardcore.

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
It's my opinion but, If you put anything but a selectable locker in the front of a "mostly highway" bronco, you'll end up in a ditch.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Driving on the highway you will not feel a front locker (unless you drive with your hubs locked and in 4WD)
But for very mild wheeling get a Detriot True trac, its a Limid slip, it works ok,
but get someone that know how to set on up, as you can shim them to work better

choppy

Loc.
College Station, TX
Why would the use of anything but a nonselectable locker in a mostly highway vehicle put you in a ditch? I don't think he is implying that the locker would be used on highway (i.e. the front hubs will be unlocked). What type of locker you have in the front diff has no bearing on handling characteristics while running in 2 wheel drive.

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Thanks for the replies,
I guess I need to clear things up, I will be doing some wheeling, the only hwy use will be going to Building supplies, auto parts stores, and so on. maybe short cruise to get to some wheeling areas, Not really a daily driver but very versitile if I needed to make a 50 mile run I would like for that not to be a problem either.
Jeff

Oh yeah, and pull a small boat, thinking about doing some fishing ;D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D True trac work good in the front and on the road it dosnt matter your not in 4x4 so can be anthing you want good luck. :p :p :p Bill 8) ::) :p

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
For a few $$$$. more you could install the new electric locker which is a limited slip while not engaged.

Hobe

Loc.
N.E. TX
Any of the selectables would be the best choice for all around. If manners when locked in are a priority then the Tru Trac is the ticket.
But for pure traction and simplicity the Detroit is still hard to beat for the money.

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=15308;start=0#msg116114 date=1047957172]
For a few $$$$. more you could install the new electric locker which is a limited slip while not engaged.
[/quote]
Madgyver,
From my research it more like double the $$$$ for the Electric locker, Best I've seen is like $795. What is the best price you've seen on the Electric activated Locker?
I still have to re-gear the rear axle.
Jeff

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
I'm sure everyone already knows this but one thing to remember is that changing from 3:50 to 4:56 gears in a D44 requires a different carrier. So if you want a locker its a perfect time to put one in. I think from what you said that a LS would be the cheapest thing for your applicaton, it will just require extra care if you drive on ice and snow, hard to steer in 4x4.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
'Yo toolpusher! Hope everythings going OK w/ the front end I sold you, I was just gonna tell you that I have the wiring harness for the electric wiper setup you got, shoot me an email w/ you're address & I'll mail it to you.

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
[quote author=mgweiss link=board=5;threadid=15308;start=0#msg116231 date=1048003668]
I'm sure everyone already knows this but one thing to remember is that changing from 3:50 to 4:56 gears in a D44 requires a different carrier. So if you want a locker its a perfect time to put one in. I think from what you said that a LS would be the cheapest thing for your applicaton, it will just require extra care if you drive on ice and snow, hard to steer in 4x4.
[/quote]
I have all ready inquired on a carrier for the D44, I also have to change the carrier in the rear axle. which is another issue I'll be dealing with soon.
I'm going to rebuild both front and rear axles, new seals and bearings, u-joints and all.
I don't see any snow and very little ice on the roads here in the south thank goodness.
Jeff

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Jeff, you may be looking for oranges in an apple barrel. Running on pavement with the hubs unlocked and the transfer case in 2 wheel drive, which is the normal way it's done, you won't care what's up front as long as it doesn't fall out. LOL. The guestion comes in when you get off the pavement, with it in 4WD. Just putting around normal dirt activities and open differential (front and rear) does fine. Limited slips and lockers come in when wheelin' around in rocks and hills. When one wheel comes off the ground a limited slip or locker will keep your other wheel driving. With an open diff. that off the ground wheel will do all the turnin' and the wheel on the ground will just sit there and watch (no turn/no move). My '66 had open differentials front and rear and didn't do too bad. I had a detroit locker installed in the rear and (like you) bought a Dana 44 with limited slip 4.10s. That puppy goes just about anywhere I want to go. I've had the front end up on one wheel and the limited slip worked just fine. I do agree the others that talk about selectable lockers. Electric/manual etc. There are times when the lockers/limted slips will get you into trouble and not out of it. With the selectables you can open them up and not corkscrew into a problem.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have a tru-trac in the front with 33's and it will work just fine in your application. If you were banging rocks and bouncing the truck with 35" tires you will shorten its life conciderably. Trac-tec only warents them for 31 inch tires and i have used it with 33's playing moderately hard and havent broken it yet in 7 years. Driving with it off road you wont even know its there except it will pull you through. on Ice and snow you will have to be carefull with a locker in the rear too.

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Well,
I delivered the D44 to http://www.4x4gearmasters.com"Performance Gear & Axle" this evening, it will be torn down and inspected and rebuilt with 4:56 gears and probably a "Detroit locker"
he going to give me a call and let me know if the axles are in good condition and we'll go from there!
Jeff

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure they use the soft locker rather than the standard locker. You will like it much better.

tonto

Bronco Guru
I never had good luck with a Limited slip, they seemed to always not work when I had one wheel off the ground and more weight on the wheel in contact with the ground, it seemed like to much weight for the springs inside the Limited Slip to put enough pressure on the clutch pack and turn the wheel, I always felt they were designed to work on a flat surface when one tire lost traction and there wasn’t a lot of weight being transferred to the other wheel.
I ran a locker in the rear and a limited slip up front and when I installed a locker up front it was like night & day, with the limited slip in front there were a lot of obstacles that were very hard and felt like I would break something it took so much energy to get over/through them, with a locker up front I’m able to crawl up the obstacles I had to run at before.
Remember with a limited slip you have a clutch pack that wears and needs to be replaced from time to time, with a mechanical locker you have no wearing parts internally to replace.
I really feel lockers like the Detroit Locker got a bad rep from the days when they were primarily used in cars with the smaller tires cars run, bigger tires really reduce/eliminate the negative characteristics of the Detroit Locker, another important issue with a mechanical locker is to check and maintain equal tire pressure in the tires on the axle the mechanical locker is installed in especially in the rear.
The first locker I had it was installed in 1992 and it was a lot harsher than the one installed 3or 4 years ago, I ran them both with 35” tires, the one I had installed in 2000 I hardly notice it at all, like I said I think they got a bad rep from the guys installing them in the Mustangs and Cameros for better traction when street racing.
Just my $.02, Francois.