• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Daughter and Dad '74 restoration

OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

Thanks JeepGuy. We are not building a show piece either so I'm all for the spray paint. It does have a lift kit but please don't ask me how high or what kind lol. I can put a tape measure somewhere to find out or take more pics but as far as this afternoon goes, I'll go get 2 more jack stands and get those tires off. Since I have the fuel tanks off, I can go ahead and clean and get ready to paint those areas. I'll research this site on paint to use

OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

Not sure if all of these pics are necessary or not but I'm sure someone will let me know if it's too much lol. Got the wheels off so this is what I'm dealing with

Attachments

• DF WHEEL WELL 1.jpg
    DF WHEEL WELL 1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DF WHEEL WELL 2.jpg
    DF WHEEL WELL 2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DF WHEEL WELL 3.jpg
    DF WHEEL WELL 3.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

A look at the passenger front

Attachments

• PF WHEEL WELL 1.jpg
    PF WHEEL WELL 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 60
  • PF WHEEL WELL 2.jpg
    PF WHEEL WELL 2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 63
  • PF WHEEL WELL 3.jpg
    PF WHEEL WELL 3.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

A look at the driver side rear

Attachments

• DR WHEEL WELL 3.jpg
    DR WHEEL WELL 3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DR WHEEL WELL 2.jpg
    DR WHEEL WELL 2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 49
  • DR WHEEL WELL 1.jpg
    DR WHEEL WELL 1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

A look at the passenger side rear

Attachments

• PR WHEEL WELL 1.jpg
    PR WHEEL WELL 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 48
  • PR WHEEL WELL 2.jpg
    PR WHEEL WELL 2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 47
  • PR WHEEL WELL 3.jpg
    PR WHEEL WELL 3.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 44

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Not sure if all of these pics are necessary or not but I'm sure someone will let me know if it's too much lol. Got the wheels off so this is what I'm dealing with

We like pics;) helps us help you and we hate to read :p

There's some impressive low buck hack lift things going on for sure. Some will say they are dangerous and some will say they are creative. From what I could see they are definitely in the hack category but in my observation not so much dangerous other than some potential degraded handling problems.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
not near as scary as the stacked blocks on the back of that lifted Super Duty that just passed you and your family on the interstate pulling a 20,000# trailer at 90. :eek:

So True. All about perspective. While I'm not a fan of blocks under the front coils, at least that axle still has radius arms to keep it in check. Either way, I'd be finding a better solution.

71 CA Bronco

Well we had to get creative in the old days. Money was tight too. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

After you get it running there are a bunch of upgrades that will be recommended here. I wouldn't spend much money on anything though until you know you have a runner. Then you can inventory where you stand and budget accordingly. Even if it doesn't run I'm sure its worth saving. Just not sure if you and your daughter will want to spend the time and money needed to get it there. It's a slippery slope that many of us have gone down.

With that said, if it runs, I would focus on safety and reliability items first. Front springs would be top on my list as soon as it is drivable.

Love the updates. Keep at it.

OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

Thanks 71. Safety first is what I'm going with. This whole hose in a gas jug while holding a fire extinguisher is scaring the hell out of me lol.

So my mechanic buddy said it's either the ignition control module (start with that first). Or the pick up pin. If it ends up being the pick up pin, he'll do that install for me but he wants me to try first. So now to find a ICM locally or might have to order one. Again, I appreciate each and everyone of you!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
ohmm check the pick-up module in the distributor. they go out 2 to one over the module. unbolt the module from the driver side fender and see if it is melted out the potting compound on the underside. sure sign its fubar.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks 71. Safety first is what I'm going with. This whole hose in a gas jug while holding a fire extinguisher is scaring the hell out of me lol.

So my mechanic buddy said it's either the ignition control module (start with that first). Or the pick up pin. If it ends up being the pick up pin, he'll do that install for me but he wants me to try first. So now to find a ICM locally or might have to order one. Again, I appreciate each and everyone of you!

Did we miss something? Progress on the start?

OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

It didn't start but I have ordered the ignition module. It was on back order at several places but finally found one and it's on the way. Hopefully it'll arrive this week. Was able to get a lot of honey do stuff out of the way this weekend so probably tomorrow evening I'm going to work on cleaning up the drum brakes and seeing what all that looks like

OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

ohmm check the pick-up module in the distributor. they go out 2 to one over the module. unbolt the module from the driver side fender and see if it is melted out the potting compound on the underside. sure sign its fubar.

Ah, just now seeing this. The under side of the module practically looks brand new. I'll get a picture of it uploaded. Since I already ordered one, I'll put the older one back on and go get me a spark light checker thing and try that. Doesn't seem all that complicated to replace the pick up coil if I had too, looks more time consuming and I must keep my patience lol

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
pick up coil is easy just don't drop all the little parts. after you pop off the reluctor. the crown looking thing, there is a thin round wire clip the holds the base plate down you need a nice sharp pick to dig that out. stick everything to a magnet so it doesnt walk away. it takes 20 minutes in the car and 10 minutes if you done it before. just don't buy cheap parts for this part the Chinese copy's are crap. a good part works right off the bat and no timing adjustment problems. I only buy Motorcraft in this part. hard to find new old stock. Fall back buy Napas best.

OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

Thanks Rusty. I'm going to go ahead and search for it to see if I can find a Motorcraft one. I bought me one of those magnet bowl things you stick anywhere and put stuff in.