• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"DE-EFI" Questions

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
After a bunch of years fighting with my Mustang EFI, I'm calling it quits. I just want my Carb back!! Has anyone done this? A couple of questions;

What will I need to do with wiring harness?
What about my fuel delivery? (Can I use my EFI tank with my Carb?)
Best intake/carb combo to keep stock hood? (I've got a 2" body lift").
How about throttle linkage now that my stock bracket is gone?

Anything else?

I'm going to delete the A/C while I'm at it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2197.jpeg
    IMG_2197.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Contributor
What’s going on with your EFI? I’m assuming you have foxbody efi?

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
What’s going on with your EFI? I’m assuming you have foxbody efi?
It's been a constant "Something"...Right at this moment, it's throttle linkage nonsense. I'm tired of driving a Frankenstein and just want it back closer to the way it was and I could fix anything on the side of the road with just a few tools.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can run a carb off an EFI tank and pump. You will still need a bypass regulator and return line. I can't think of a good single regulator that would provide a stable carb level of fuel pressure. You would just about have to do a bypass that would throttle the fuel down to a level that a regular non-bypass regulator could handle.
Distributor would need the right gear for the cam material.

You say you are fighting throttle linkage. Just as easy to fight throttle linkage issues with a carb. I think I had more issues with a carb linkage than I did with EFI. I am guessing you have good stuff, but not good on the final details. I would say to go through the details and not the modifications. You probably have most of the conversion bugs squared away. Going back to a carb is going to open a whole new bucket of bugs that will need to be sorted out.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
You can run a carb off an EFI tank and pump. You will still need a bypass regulator and return line. I can't think of a good single regulator that would provide a stable carb level of fuel pressure. You would just about have to do a bypass that would throttle the fuel down to a level that a regular non-bypass regulator could handle.
Distributor would need the right gear for the cam material.

You say you are fighting throttle linkage. Just as easy to fight throttle linkage issues with a carb. I think I had more issues with a carb linkage than I did with EFI. I am guessing you have good stuff, but not good on the final details. I would say to go through the details and not the modifications. You probably have most of the conversion bugs squared away. Going back to a carb is going to open a whole new bucket of bugs that will need to be sorted out.

The throttle linkage is just today’s issue. It’s been about 10 years of fighting one problem after another and I’m tired of it. I ran a carb for 30 yrs on these things and had more fun driving and less overall problems. And when I did break down, I could pretty much get it running and back on the road with a few tools by the side of the road.

I feel like it will be better to just go back to a low pressure pump. Don’t know why my existing tank won’t work if I just plug the return lines and swap pumps?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I guess you could pull the in tank pump (I presume that is what you have when you say you have an EFI tank) and put a regular pickup on it. Then go for a P4070 electric and you are set.
So long as you are not trying to draw through the old pump and are pulling off the bottom, it should be fine.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran a 95 mustang 5.0 HO for about 10 years. It was flawless. Would never considered going back. I’d look seriously into the system you’ve got. Maybe go through every step in the installation. My system was the complete install to be emissions compliant. Including air pump, cat, evap…

The EFI donor was a Mustang HO with 5 speed. I coupled it to a ZF 5 speed.

My brother nose dove it into a deeper creek than expected and hydro locked it. Rods looked like pretzels with some sticking out of the block.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I guess you could pull the in tank pump (I presume that is what you have when you say you have an EFI tank) and put a regular pickup on it. Then go for a P4070 electric and you are set.
So long as you are not trying to draw through the old pump and are pulling off the bottom, it should be fine.

I just went and read/watched videos on the return regulator. I didn't know such a beast existed and is perfect! That's definitely the way to go! Thanks

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I ran a 95 mustang 5.0 HO for about 10 years. It was flawless. Would never considered going back. I’d look seriously into the system you’ve got. Maybe go through every step in the installation. My system was the complete install to be emissions compliant. Including air pump, cat, evap…

The EFI donor was a Mustang HO with 5 speed. I coupled it to a ZF 5 speed.

It's been on my Bronco for about 10 yrs and been diagnosed, re-diagnosed a bunch of times over those years because I've never been happy with the way it's run. I've been driving these old Broncos for about 40 yrs and it was way more fun (for me) when it was simple. But I had another '74 with EFI that I drove down the Baja Peninsula and back with no issues, so I know they work great and I'm not arguing that fact even a little. I just want to go a different direction for this one.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You running the EFI engine or was it a bolt on of the EFI manifold and components?

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
You running the EFI engine or was it a bolt on of the EFI manifold and components?

It's a 5.0 crate from Ford Racing. Had a carb when I first installed it, then bought the Mustang EFI stuff and did the swap (actually, the swap was done by Chuck & Jason at BC).

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was lucky to find a very low milage Mustang convertible that was kept spit shined and indoors. A guys pride and joy until his kid took some friends joy riding. Engine ran in the crashed vehicle so I knew it was good. Totaled it out at 30K. Did the total transplant.

Im not a Ford engine expert but could be a bunch of incompatibilities with the control system. Cam, heads….

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I quit OEM EFI for three reasons:
  1. Older computers / harder to find replacements
  2. No longer can flash emissions control out of computer
  3. Harness plugs kept breaking on re-worked harnesses and were sometimes not available for OEM EFI components (means using redneck engineering to keep it working)
I went ProFlo 4 and love it. I understand Holley has improved the sniper as well. As for carb, there's no simpler option than a stock manifold with Autolite 2-bbl. Here is a product designed specifically for your use: https://www.summitracing.com/search...QPRLUA8yRSwnrwNfKxrwmWWIFfNYb0q4aAvyaEALw_wcB

For me, keeping EFI is a must because I don't want to flood at angles, washboard, heat. Most of all, I run from sea level to 10K and I don't want to be adjusting a carb and changing the power valve all the time. I do respect the simplicity of Autolite 2-bbl though;)

-JB

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I’m with you coach. Worked on a lot of efi setups, Howell, fitech, msd, etc and didn’t like any of them. Too easy to brick for no reason or odd throttle issues especially with manual transmission. I can strip and rejet a cab in 20 mins. Rebuilt many on the side of the trail and drove home. If efi decides to brick on the trail unless you have a laptop and a programmer on hand you’re screwed.
Now for the off topic drag and drive truck I’m building I am still on the fence about efi but if I do go that route I will use something like Haltec to control it.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OMG coach!!!!
-I just looked at your gallery.
-Here is my Build.
-My insanity is not alone!!!!

Attachments

• Bronco hood frt.JPG
    Bronco hood frt.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 13