• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Diagnosis please.........

hillbilly delux

Loc.
West Point, MS
I replaced the oil dip stick and tube cheapest first. Ran the bronco, oil is coming out of the tube, could there be too much oil in the pan??????? Would it do this if it was overfilled.

JiM

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Hole in piston, cracked block, worn rings(completely),blown head gasket.
Time to do a compression check. sorry.
Greg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No air bubbles in radiator when running..........Could it still be an compression leak? :eek:

JiM

Yep...no air bubbles in the radiator possibly rules out a leak into the water jacket, either through a crack in the head or block or a blown head gasket. You could have compression leaking into the bottom end, which is more likely considering the symptoms you described.

Broken ring maybe. ?:?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should be able to borrow or rent a compression tester from you local autoparts store or rental company.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You might start by pulling the spark plug wires one at a time and watching the rpm. If it doesn't drop, then you've got a cylinder that isn't pulling.

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
Hi Jim: As APOGEE and others have said you need to do a compression check or have a garage do it, it should not be more than about 50 bucks and try to find an old fart like me to do it, I'm trying to get the picture out of my mind of you in a dress, and not all mechanics are crooks. Joe.:cry:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Most are......But back to the point ...Is it running good or bad....if good then I'd drain the oil and put in 5qts and see what I does ...did you put a little silicone on the dipstick tube when you put it in ....If there is more than 5 qts come out when you drain the oil see if it's water ''milkey'' or gas ''smells like gas'' or JUST to much oil how I dont know....None of the 3 above then look at the compression ...But if it's running good it's most likely not compression ...

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
not sure you even have motor issues ,but,,,,,compression testers just get you in the ballpark & leave you in the dark if you want to be able to pinpoint issues to determine overall the health of your engine ......leak down testers are the only way to go to eliminate guess work

Attachments

• 100_0175.jpg
    100_0175.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
hillbilly delux

hillbilly delux

Loc.
West Point, MS
The engine runs fine. It doesn't smoke has good power not sluggish. Gonna drain the oil this weekend. If its milky then what , if gassy then what? Also may try two pcv valves? I have one pcv and one vented cap.

JiM

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Could be stopped up PVC valve. I had a BB ford blow the dipsitck out like it was a cannon due to the engine no being able to vent.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I'd start with checking the PCV valve. Make sure it rattles and its hooked up to vacuum. You should also have a breather cap on the other valve cover. do you?
Tom

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
The engine runs fine. It doesn't smoke has good power not sluggish. Gonna drain the oil this weekend. If its milky then what , if gassy then what? Also may try two pcv valves? I have one pcv and one vented cap.

JiM

You need the vented cap. The way PCV works, the pcv valve pulls air from the crankcase into the engine at high vacuum, it pulls air into the vented cap to allow it to vent. I think you may just need a new PCV valve.
Tom

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hell if it still running good go wheeling .....
Milkey on the dip stick dont worry about it ....Milkey oil ask for help ..
Gassey oil ...smells like gas change the fuel pump and you oil ....
What carb is on it ...I've had several carbs thru the years leak into the oil ......

OP
OP
hillbilly delux

hillbilly delux

Loc.
West Point, MS
saw a drop in coolant level today. Its burning coolant, saw some steam in exhaust. that still doesnt explain the oil coming out the dipstick. guess ive got bad rings and a blown head gasket.

JiM